Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 September 2011
Great little book for the train, waiting rooms etc as each 'article' is short. Good colloquial expressions. I think perfect for Intermediate upwards (think you need a good understanding of Italian and vocabulary) as it gives you the phrases as Italians say them, rather than how you might have composed them. I have not used CD. Thoroughly recommended!
on 10 December 2013
I was looking at purchasing this magazine together with CD when I saw that it was available as a kindle edition - perfetto, there is nothing I want less than anything else cluttering up the house! I downloaded it, and it looked great. I had read a review saying that it is difficult to use the audio content together with the text, so I looked for the audio content first. The last item of the table of contents was "Audio Track Listing".

Moving to that section took just a click, and the first paragraph informed me that tracks 1-20 are included in audio CD format, and that all tracks, (1-25), appear in mp3 format. However, I couldn't see them, had no idea how to get to them and had no idea where they might "appear".

I phoned Amazon customer service and was (I can't stress this strongly enough) eventually told (by the strangest customer service person) that there was no audible content available with the Kindle edition. She offered to give me a telephone number for Audible (another company, I thought - still confused by this one).

So it seems that if you want audible content, then you have to buy the paperback edition, which comes with a CD. There are no mp3s available. Which still begs the question: how does one access tracks 21-25?

Read and Think Italian with Audio CD (Read & Think)
Read and Think Italian (Read & Think)
on 8 February 2012
A very good book for furthering understanding of the language and building reading and understanding. The accompanying CD is great for listening to in the car and improving listening skills. More suited to intermediate than beginner.
on 8 June 2013
The content of this book is fantastic for getting people to converse in Italian. It also assists in correcting grammar, clearing up any confusion, because of the way its written. It alleviates the boredom of having to go back to revise huge amounts of grammar to get clarification. By memorising small blocks of text it is possible to inspire conversation, without having to think it all out, in a variety of everyday situations thereby making conversation more fluid! Thr only down side was the CD, which is so confusing. It was very poorly put together without instructions and is very difficult to follow. One hasto go through the book to get to the chapters the cd refers to. This could have been avoided by a brief introduction to the cd!
on 26 February 2012
An excellent book. I am helping to run a class for mixed ability Adults and everyone is enjoying the excerpts.The accompanying Audio CD is also great - the speed and enunciation is really good.
Doreen Moodie
on 7 July 2012
An excellent addition to a self study italian programme. Not for a beginner but certainly intermediate level. Is is clearly read and a great help to improve listening and understanding skills, as well as being full of interesting information about Italy and the Italian way of life.
on 24 May 2012
I really like this book. It has lots of good but short articles. I have also joined the online version to get the downloads of the monthly magazine and audio. I would say this is advanced beginner / lower intermediate standard. The book is well laid out and the audio is easy to listen too. The articles are interesting and I think a good insight into modern Italy.
on 21 June 2016
I have to say I feel rather cheated by this book and am considering returning it. I bought it as I wanted something that would give me the opportunity to hear native Italians speaking about ordinary topics, fairly slowly, and the CD with the intermediate textbook I already had was frighteningly difficult
to understand, the speakers went so fast.
I should have read the earlier reviews much more carefully. There are 110 shortish articles on various topics, and most of them are written with very useful vocabulary, so I have no problem with that ... BUT, whllst the jacket states : "on the CD, native speakers read aloud many of the articles contained in the book", in fact, there are only 25 tracks, and the first track - with no explanation - is for an article on page 45!! The book is nearly £15, so this works out at about 60p per track - each lasting only a couple of minutes or so!! Not very good value at all, and it must have been very easy for the authors to get Italians to read out the other articles.
on 9 June 2012
Having purchased several books for Italian learning this book is just perfect for when you get to the intermediate level. Wish they'd done a basic version when I first started too and hoping they will produce more at the intermediate level and then advanced level too. The concept is simple but clever - why has no-one else thought of this before?! A page or two of different topics - you can start anywhere in the book - it highlights words, phrases and sentences that might be new to you and gives a translation in the margin, so you don't have to go scurrying for a dictionary. You need to be intermediate level as not everything is highlighted. You do need to know how to pronounce words and phrases you've never seen before perfectly to get the best out of this book, but then again they provide a CD in the back (of which I haven't tried yet). I will probably listen to the CD when I'm in the car but for now its great to read a topic when I have a spare 10-15 mins. Highly recommended. Please produce more of these in Italian - this book is speeding up my Intermediate Italian reading/speaking level very fast indeed. Couldn't be more pleased.
on 29 March 2013
The Italian in this book is challenging but not intimidating. It would suit an A-level student or similar, to complement a more formal course (there's no grammar notes in here).
The CD is read very clearly, and slower than everyday speech, so it is not too hard to follow. Only a subset of the articles are recorded but it's enough to fill a CD.

If they changed the format on the vocabulary, I would have awarded 5 stars. They pick some random words from the text and give translations at the side of the article - they never seem to include the words I find difficult. I'd much prefer them to have a vocabulary at the back containing all the more diffucult words so you didn't need to use a dictionary with this book.

Overall, great value for money and worth having on your shelf to dip into when you have a spare 10 minutes.