on 30 June 2017
Ive just finished listening to this book for the 2nd time back to back. I found it thought provoking, packed full of insights and offers a new and compelling approach to presentations and pitches. On the whole I prefer books read by the author and Oren brings his material and concepts to life in a personal , entertaining and easy to listen to way. I appreciated the audio so much I bought the print copy after my first listen.
on 4 May 2015
A succinct, concise breakdown of the psychology, behavioural principles and practices that enable you to learn and apply a consistent methodology to pitching and closing as opposed to out dated gimmicks, sale myths that permeate the business world.

Universal 1st principles versus common sense.

It not work around or substitute for having a good deal in the first place. Doesn't claim to be. It is an invaluable asset in making sure you have the tools to position your pitch for success.
on 1 April 2017
I'll be practicing this daily as a much better way of influencing clients, potential clients and people I interact with daily.
on 20 June 2017
Bra utiful. I love it I lobe it I lobe it I lobe it. Cmon cmon cmon cmon cmon I said.
on 24 May 2015
Had Audible audiobook and now purchased paper version as well do keep track on audio on paper. Good book to work it through for several times in the row and continuously periodically. Will increase your pitching level a lot.
on 13 April 2017
Very insightful
on 6 August 2014
Awesome book. Has helped me to obtain a greater degree of sales success.
on 8 September 2014
Not yet completed the book but some great info, really gets you to think different about sales and communication in general.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 November 2016
A psychologist turned marketer recommended this book to me because of the way it links marketing back to the way our brains work and I read it with interest.

The author raises finance from investors and institutions by pitching a business idea. The suggestion is that the method can be transferred over to B2B and B2C sales with great success but I'm not convinced. That may be because I have a built-in bias against pitch selling, preferring a much more consultative sales approach to trying to understand what the customer needs. Some of the ideas can be incorporated into a sales presentation with good effect and without being obviously manipulative.

I was intrigued when I first read the book and looking at my copy, a significant amount is highlighted. They have however alerted me to a problem because when I've gone through them again, I remembered little from the first reading. The book brings many of the ideas I've encountered before like the reptilian brain, frame control etc but I haven't retained a key message or concepts.

The method is based around the STRONG process:
- Set the frame,
- Tell the story,
- Reveal the intrigue,
- Offer the prize,
- Nail the hookpoint, and
- Get the deal.

Whilst the author calls this "neurofinance", I'm a fan of taking lessons from neuroscience and psychology in general and applying them to marketing. Too often, sales and marketing clashes with the reptilian brain, called in this book the crocodile brain. This is the most primitive part of our thinking processes that kick in automatically and is designed to protect us from serious harm. It acts as a very strong filter to the more rational brain and gets bored quickly.

I feel the method suggested requires a lot of self confidence that will suit extroverted people better than introverts. Are you ready for the battle to set your frame up against the people you are talking to, ready to crush them and take advantage? I had similar issues with Robert Ringer's book called "Winning Through Intimidation".

At the moment I don't feel that I've got the best from this book and should find the time to go back to it when my mind is more receptive to the ideas. At the moment, I feel that the ideas are interesting but don't align with the real me. This is a book that I recommend because it will challenge some of your basic assumptions about the way you conduct business.

About my book reviews - My goal is to help you to find the best business advice. I aim to be a tough reviewer because the main cost of a book is not the money to buy it but the time needed to read it and absorb the key messages. 4 stars means this is a good to very good book. I will respond to any comment you make about my review.

Paul Simister, business coach
Lacking a class system America appears to have re-invented one based on status and Oren Klaff treats it at length in his book on pitching. The author pitches investments to the Great and The Good (and the self-Important) of the American financial system, attempting to out-master the Masters of the Universe in the interests of getting the deal. This kind of selling has its own special features but contains enough of a general nature to be of value to someone in other selling environments.

As is often the case with the American business advice book, Oren is mesmerised by the wonderfulness of the rich and successful (he likes status even though it gives him a problem) and has saved himself from financial disaster and raised himself up to vast wealth by the strength of his own method. He is, in short, a bit of a bore. However, he has some valuable lessons for us if we keep awake during the self-adulation.

His key point (in terms of what seems to take the most time) is his concern that we pitch from a higher status point than the audience for the pitch. He describes very well indeed the methods by which buyers aim to put the pitcher in a lower social position (keeping them waiting, hiding them on small chairs behind massive desks). His analysis of the Walmart Pitch Hell is very very good. Oren tries to suggest methods whereby you can grasp back control of the meeting by the imposition of "frames". Many readers will find these methods highly challenging though they are second nature to we rude boys. You really do have to believe they are lucky to see you, you have to be prepared to walk away from badly structured meeting aimed to crash your pitch. But beware, if you engage in an alpha male pitch battle you must be prepared for fireworks and you will lose lots of pitches. You will find the ones you win are of better quality. Your boss (for those of you unfortunate enough to have one) may take a different view.

Having battered your opponents into seeing you as someone to prize not to abuse Oren has lots of useful advice on the rest of your pitch based on a rather "interesting" analysis of evolutionary neuroscience. I will leave this to one side but key points like gripping the listener early and not holding him too long are certainly true whatever the reason. I learned these from the great presentation expert Lee Bowman of Kingstree. Your pitch must be less than 20 minutes, it must avoid the long technical description in favour of the fast explanation of the benefits, and you must be prepared for the audience to try to reframe the discussion (the little tinkers!).

There is a lot of value here even if you think you cannot quite bring yourself in engage in status combat.