on 30 May 2011
I bought this book after attending one of Grant Ronald's MasterClass event. Every time I pick this book up, it reassures me that this was the perfect start to my ADF journey. As a complete newbie to ADF, I was particularly overwhelmed by all the information out there in the docs, forums, blogs etc. Deciding where to start and what to focus on was the most crucial and the most difficult part. This is where this book comes in.

The approach of segregating your learning into 3 simple but logical sections - Overview (of Fusion, the ADF framework and JDeveloper), Business Services and UI - gives a great footing from where one could take off or deep dive into their area of focus. The author's excellent experience of dealing with different abilities is obvious in the lucid manner and tone used throughout. The hands-on code samples add the final touch - I feel truly ready to take on the ADF world now !

Like the first page so rightly says - "For those who never found it easy", this book is for anyone who would like a jump-start on ADF (with or without a Java background). Not just a one-time read, it is an equally great reference to have on your shelf!
on 28 September 2011
ADF is huge. Not only that, it is catering to two very different types of developers: Oracle Forms developers and Java developers. This book sits well in the middle, getting both on their way to becoming ADF developers.

I started learning ADF as a Forms developer, and found the whole ADF framework a bit daunting to say the least. I read this book very carefully, and it gave me a good start. The framework is sliced up in nicely portioned bits, and served with enough details to actually make you see what it is going on.

We have used this book in my company for Java developers as well. They also appreciate the book, but on slightly different grounds than Forms developers. They enhance the explanations of "what actually goes on", "what actually goes where" and "how can I override default behavior", more than Forms developers.

The book is a "Start" mind you, and you are by no means an expert when finishing this book. But you will be wiser, and if you are starting ADF development, this will be well worth your while.
on 19 December 2012
Before reading this book, I had never used Oracle JDeveloper
and i had no idea what the ADF is.
But this book made me to work on ADF Projects and i would recommend all the new beginners to use this quick start book/guide.