Customer reviews

on 29 November 2017
I really liked the gradual, systematic development of concepts, each with clear and simple examples you can step through to help you understand. It covers most of the language functions.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 June 2017
Do you want to be a master in writing MDX queries? Look no further! This is the book to go for. Great stuff!!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 December 2011
I came accross this book as a recommendation by Scott Whigham in his excellent online training Analysis Services course(LearnItFirst.com).
I tend to buy quite a few technical books and find many of them very dry, bloated and boring by their nature of the subject matter. This book on the other hand is more like a cookbook and is full of practical examples laid out in a very logical manner and with a brief consise explanation . The source code alone makes the book worth buying. I find MDX although powerful, very frustrating to learn because of the quirky syntex. I love the fact that Art includes both working and non working examples and then explains why they don't work which is a huge help. I still struggle a lot with MDX but I keep this book close by and can usually find some example which help make it less painful to learn.

I would have liked to see the book available in full color as I find it tends to make books more readable and especially technical books. As a general observation I can never understand why all technical eBooks at least are not in full color as it doesn't cost anything except a slightly bigger download? but makes books far more readable?.

Finally I would have no hesitation in recommending this book for purchase, indeed I've bought other books by Art Tennick on the strength of it.
on 30 July 2010
I found the book easy to read with practical examples and highly recommended for people who develop MDX queries.
on 14 August 2013
This book is what it says in the title - full of practical examples of MDX that you can use to solve problems and as a basis to create your own solutions, can't say more than that apart from to recommend buying if you want something that doesn't waffle and gets to the point. 4 stars only because you just want more examples after you get to the last page, book is not the usual mammoth tech epic :-)