on 30 July 2015
After reading the no cry Cleo solution my daughter went from waking every hour to just once a night. It has made a huge difference to our lives and proves that leaving a baby to cry is not necessary and doesn't always work
on 20 June 2013
some helpful tips, and great gentle ethos. My 2nd copy as my first copy wore out from being borrowed so much by friends.
on 7 March 2017
Good value, quick delivery. Thank you
on 25 July 2015
All good
on 26 June 2013
I already have read the No-Cry sleep solution for babies and I had found it very helpful. Now my dauthger is older so I bought this one. This book is full of useful tips and advices. Also, we feel comfortable because the author doesn't give any judgement on our habits. All parents should read this book, even if your child doesn't have sleep problems.
on 11 January 2013
I bought this book as my three 1/2 year old was throwing dreadful tantrums about going to bed and taking a very long time to settle and fall asleep. we have recently moved house and he got out of his usual routine. He had also begun to drop his daytime nap, his nursery did not put him down for naps. Reading this book helped me to understand sleep in young children and how sleep patterns change. I had thought my son was throwing tantrums becuase he wasnt tired and didnt want to go to bed but after reading this book I realised that the opposite was true, my son was over tired and has a tendancy to get very hyperactive when he feels like this. The solution for us was a longer bedtime routine that starts earlier, audio-books in the evneing istead of TV and encouraging him to nap or rest early afternoon. This book does not offer one solution for every child/family so I'd recommend reading the whole book rather than dipping in and out. It also made me feel better about the lack of success we have had with 'cry it out' approaches, which for us seemed to make things worse. Our son still needs us with him when he is falling asleep but now I am confident that this is normal for a child of his age and we are all happier knowing that he will fall asleep calmly and quickly.
on 11 July 2005
i bought this book because i was beginning to wonder if there was ever going to be a time when my breastfed 21/2 year old was going to go to sleep by himself and sleep peacefully until i arrive to go to bed. some evenings it felt like more of an issue than others, and then it really did become quite wearing.
i didn't like pantley's previous book on babies as i found the advice far too obvious and mostly irrelevant.
however i did like this new book on toddlers and pre-schoolers. i generally liked the tone - warm and relaxed but very happily in synch with the young child's feelings of care and security. and also what i generally liked was just the assurance that young children going to sleep by themselves was a Hollywood myth. Actually, Pantley points out, young children need "help" to go to sleep (i guess just like they need help to go to the toilet or get dressed, etc, for a few years). they don't behave like adults and need our reassurance and presence. i just found this reassuring and i kind of relaxed (a bit!) into it again. However, for those readers who really do want their children to learn to go to sleep by themselves she does recommend a very gentle step-by-step method (though it was too long-winded for me).
What I also liked was her general writing on how children need their sleep, and how much, which I found useful, especially on the issue of "naps" and how children often need them.
Despite the title of the book as a "Solution" I think overall it doesn't really offer any quick fixes. But it does look at the issue humanely and with care. I still think there is too much obvious detail and maybe some points and ideas were suggested which were too obvious (to me anyway). But overall I liked the book.
on 2 August 2005
Our 15 month old son has had difficulty sleeping since infancy. He suffered from acid reflux, regular runny noses and ear infections for several months as a baby and this had an impact on his ability to sleep well. He would scream when laid down in his cot and although he would quieten when lifted, he would then fight sleep for hours until he was so overtired, it was even more difficult for him to settle down to sleep. Although his health problems are behind him, the legacy of his sleep problems remain. We tried so many different ways of settling him to sleep and have him sleep through the night, including staying with him and the crying it out approach. Neither of them provided any particular level of success. Our older son, who has always slept well was our benchmark and when nothing we tried seemed to work with our younger son, we became confused, disillusioned, anxious and felt guilty about the way we were approaching our son's sleeptimes. Then I read Elizabeth Pantley's book and everything is beginning to turn around.
I liked it firstly because I had never seen a book focusing specifically on toddlers and pre-schoolers before and I was keen not to try and make suggestions made in other baby sleep books 'fit' around our toddler son. From its first pages, Elizabeth's advice is practical, gentle, loving and designed to suit a variety of family circumstances. She does not advocate a one size fits all approach, rather giving several suggestions to each particular sleep issue, which you can choose from based on your own particular family situation. Nor does she suggest that her advice will offer a quick fix solution to your child's sleep difficulties. Persistence and patience are required, however, if like us, you have persisted with other methods which haven't worked, these gentle, more loving solutions are much easier to follow and will hopefully meet your child's needs and make you feel a lot better about yourself as a parent!
Her sleep logs can be printed and completed to give you a baseline on which to base your sleep plan. She gives 'Eight sleep tips for every child', before offering solutions for the widest variety of invidual sleep difficulties. I read the book from cover to cover but you could just as easily dip in and out of chapters depending on what particular issues you are facing. Perhaps most importantly for us, Elizabeth's advice has allowed us to really listen to our son and as a result to meet his sleep needs far better than we were before. Despite the fact that we believed we had a consistent bedtime routine, which we had always followed for our older child, a few changes based on Elizabeth's advice have made bedtime a less stressful, more gentle, loving, fun and special time for us all as a family. Our son is settling to sleep quicker and without tears and is sleeping longer through the night. If you have a toddler or pre-schooler who has difficulty with sleep and as a result, so do you, then I recommend that you read this book!
on 1 September 2005
My daughter is 2 1/4 and hasn't really slept well since she was 9 months old. Before I got this book she was waking about twice a night, every night, and I was exhausted and ready to consider going to a sleep clinic even though I didn't like the idea of someone else telling me what to do. I had the author's first book on sleep for babies but we'd somehow missed the window of opportunity and none of the solutions seemed to be working with our toddler. Then I heard about this book, and figured I'd give it a try. I felt reassured and so much more positive once it arrived and I'd had a quick look through it, mainly because there are just lots and lots and lots of different ideas. The author doesn't assume all families are alike, that you will all fit into the same routine, that one solution will work for every child and every parent -- like many books on sleep I've seen. Instead she discusses many different issues, and different ways that parents have found of dealing with them.
Another important thing, in terms of dealing with toddlers and sleep issues, is that she makes a distinction between "crying it out" and protest crying. Many toddlers just don't want to be left alone at bedtime, and they'll cry for a bit to let you know that they don't like it. If you aren't happy listening to this protest crying, she gives ways of handling the separation aspect of bedtime, but if like me you're a bit impatient once you know the difference between the two types of crying you may be more comfortable leaving your child to cry for a few minutes when you leave them in bed in the evening.
We didn't put any of these ideas into practice right away, instead we went on holiday which made my daughter's sleep problems much much worse. When we'd been home a few weeks I put a couple of the author's suggestions into practice, stuck with them very consistently, and now -- a week later -- my daughter's sleeping patterns have improved markedly. I'd recommend this book to anyone who's at their wit's end with their child's sleeping patterns, or even people who just occasionally have problems with it. The book is much cheaper than going to a sleep clinic!
on 26 April 2013
Seems to cover all options from co-sleepers to children in their own room. When i stuck with the suggestions it worked, when i was a bit lazy things slipped. Great if like me you don't think children should be left to cry.