on 19 July 2017
Would recommend for those who don't agree with cry it out type approaches. I got it as an audio book as I didn't have the energy to read it as my bsby had been sleeping very badly. I then played it whenever I was in the car. I have found it very helpful so far and it reinforces my decision to stay away from cry out methods. The pull off technique has been very successful so far, my baby who is 8 months will now fall asleep in my arms without having to be completely fed to sleep. He is still waking 3 or more times during the night but this is an improvement and he is also not waking when I put him in the cot. Have been doing it for 3-4 days and he is napping much better also. I'm hopeful things will continue to improve.
on 19 May 2017
Beyond useless. In fact our baby sleeps worse now. Wish I never wasted money on it.
on 2 March 2017
For a book that claimed to get straight to the point of how to get baby sleeping- there were several chapters of 'lead up' info. I understand the importance of safety in cots etc... and have read lots of information on this anyway so I would have skipped that chapter but the author implores you to not skip it so I read it but it was all standard information which most sensible people would have already known. As for it being easy advice I disagree- you can pull out useful tips but the author sets lots of homework tasks- recording sleep patterns and making charts and even making your own bedtime story book with sticky tape& cut outs from magazines- need I say more?!! The advice / paperwork side of things is as though she wants you to do the same as her participants in her research project and the advice hasn't been well adjusted to fit in with a self help book for tired parents. It's also patronising- at one point she says that while you wait for baby to stir during day time sleep you can spend the time knitting or paying bills- thanks for that!!!
on 7 May 2017
Don't bother. It takes half of the book to get to the point, and has you make journals of sleep patterns....as if anyone has the time. The ideas it gives you are things you will have tried before buying the book anyway. Not impressed.
on 4 December 2015
Life saver
on 28 December 2015
Some good ideas, but please don't get worked up if your child isn't sleeping through the night. They'll get there eventually.
on 26 April 2017
This was a very good read and helped me to understand my baby's sleep. Helped support the fact that the cry it out method was not good for us. Gentle tips.
on 23 July 2007
I am so glad I bought this book with my first child when he was nowhere near sleeping through the night, and I was desperate! All the advice (and there was plenty of it) that I had been given or read previously was to let him cry it out, and that went against all my maternal instincts/ hormones... for various reasons I wasn't happy or able to do that to him or me. After trawling through Amazon I found this book (a few years ago when it wasn't so well known) and when I read it I was so relieved! The author is great at making you feel like someone's in it with you - that she understands - and there are plenty of tips for various different situations and ages (although it's mostly for babies & preschoolers)
The main thing is, it worked with my first, and then my second son.
Although Pantley has no obvious qualifications, she did a lot of her own research - as this was ground-breaking when it was written, there was hardly any previous material or studies for her to draw from, and so she was effectively starting from scratch.
I would be amazed if this book didn't work for you. It can't be to everyone's taste (what is?) but if you have a child who won't sleep through the night, I'd say you're really missing out if you don't read this!
on 12 March 2017
It was not possible for me to try every advice in this book but I found some great ideas that were really helpful
on 8 July 2016
I lost 4 months of lovely sleep trying to implement ideas from this book, trying to get him to fall asleep without boob took forever and then things still didn't improve! in the end at 9 months I tried 'pick up put down' from another book and that worked in three days.