on 27 February 2015
Allowing for the fact that most of the examples given are for USA companies, hardly surprising since the authors are in USA, this book should be compulsory reading for anyone who doesn't understand why their business isn't getting the response they think they deserve.

A few years ago I came up with a brilliant idea for promoting my business which generated huge response and became a talking point within my field. I dropped the idea because I felt that it had run its course but I sort of regret doing so because in the context of positioning it was second to none. Fortunately, i have a couple more brilliant ideas up my sleeve which I'm working on and reading this book has certainly helped shaped my intuitive approach into something more tangible.
on 18 April 2016
I bought this book to help my business understand the importance of market positioning, and I have to say that this is probably one of the most important business marketing books I have ever read. In a world filled with tons of products and companies consumers are simply overwhelmed with choice. The only way to truly stand out in a crowded marketplace, which is what Al Ries refers to throughout this book, is to establish a position in your consumers mind. He also gives you helpful tips on how being the number 2 or 3 brand in a category can be a good thing if the top spot is already occupied.
on 5 November 2016
Very easy to enjoyable to read. I personally I don't take much attention to "Branding", I'm more a believer on Direct Response Marketing, but I enjoyed this very much, as the another book from the author Al Ries and Jack Trout: The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing.
on 22 August 2016
A true Marketing classic which is a pleasure to read and gives amazing insights about marketing and positioning. Being written in the 90ies it's a bit out of date about the market leaders for lots of sectors.
on 2 July 2013
An interesting book which has been revised by the authors to show where their predictions were right and where they were wrong. Of course in the latter cases it was often "because management didn't listen, or follow the advice". Covers a wide range of well-known, and lesser-known brands.

Highlights some branding errors which are laughably stupid, but possibly insufficient recognition is given to quite how much luck is involved in the succees, or failure, of a brand strategy?

Overall well worth reading - and very thought provoking.
on 12 July 2017
I can't believe how this book is still relevant after so many years
on 18 January 2018
Old material that is still perfectly relevant. One of the best marketing books I have ever read.
on 10 March 2018
A must must must read for business people and marketers. A simple book but so profound ...its amazing how easily we get the obvious wrong.
on 16 January 2018
A truly revolutionary book on marketing! Very well done. Absolutely recommend for marketing professionals and novices alike.
on 20 October 2015
An excellent book.I would recommend it to anyone interested in the battle for the customer's thinking.