Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 November 2009
The only reason why I'm giving it 4 stars and not 5 is that the very things criticized in the preface about other mathematical books being like "bitter-tasting medicine", well, Mathematical Economics is pretty much that too. The structure is great: Intro, Exposition, Examples, Economic Application. But frankly I only got through the first two-thirds because I already knew some calculus so I made some sense of the dense text. There's way too much notation for any beginning and possibly intermediate student but perhaps just perfect for the aspiring Ph.D. But then surely they won't need all the intro to calculus stuff. So the book suffers from a serious identity crisis: it's too complicated for simpletons but most of the first half is too simple for boffins. Yet I really liked it and wished I could understand more in it.
on 3 February 2015
Yes, sometimes it is embarrassing easy ("f(x) doesn't mean f multiplied by x" !!), but a book - differently than a video - allows you to run quick on the pages where you feel comfortable and take your time on the ones that you find harder. So no problem if the requirements are "easy", what it matter is the math "output" provided.
Overall it covers most of the math required in standard economic courses and let you to develop a solid base that you can use to further study individual topics of interest.
A side but not less important note: even if this is a "cheap" international edition the editing is good: clear graphic, quality paper, nice layout..

Edited: While reading this book (I'm now at ch. 11) I am compiling an errata of the fourth edition: https://booksforum.org/content/fundamental-methods-mathematical-economics (tab "discussions", type "errata"). I have to say that still errors are very rare.. that's the good of studying a book that it's out from over 40 years...
on 25 February 2013
I would strongly recommend the book to all those who had a solid knowledge in maths, but haven't used it for a while.
on 25 November 2010
Really needed to brush up on my Maths skills for my Masters course & this book has mostly done the trick. It covers all key topics with an approach that's easy to follow.
on 30 November 2012
Studying a Masters in Economics and Finance and would highly recommend to post-graduate students, particularly matrix algebra and dynamics chapters
on 19 July 2012
This book has combined the concept of mathematics and economics in a very nice, easy to understand manner. Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics. I am PhD qualified highly experienced tutor. Most of my students find this book very useful in revising the concept. If you need FREE advice, explaination of any topic,solution of a problem, feel free to contact me at info@aonetuition.co.uk. Good luck!!
on 5 November 2014
Good quality, delivered on time.
on 6 August 2015
in very good condition! Thanks
on 18 March 2010
Very well done and comprehensible math review with plenty of economical applications. Recommendable. I used it as a review a few years after uni graduation.
on 19 October 2014