Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 March 2015
My classical-music and orchestra-mad 3-year-old adores this book. We have to read it daily and she has to talk about absolutely everything on the page. It's unusual, fascinating and there is a lot of good repetition in it. It's also just the right side of lyrical. Wonderful!
on 6 May 1999
The idea for this book was a stroke of genius, and it is executed flawlessly. It's about the orchestra, or is it? They don't play a note until the last page. Your kids will learn the different instruments (and the different underwear...) The story and the illustrations are engaging, relevant, funny, poetic. When we read it aloud at my house, the room goes quiet. Everyone smiles. Thank you Karla Kuskin!
on 28 September 2001
It helped our 3-year-old to realize that other people besides Mama & Papa dress in black and work in the evening!
on 9 December 1998
I like reading this book with my 31/2 year old. We point out the diffrent instruments and she knows them all know. She also learned what a conductor is and the word "podium" from this book. I am thinking of bringing this book to the various schools where I run an arts program.