Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 October 2000
Having run 1000 miles in eleven days, Mittleman has clearly gained some understandings that will be valuable to anyone who engages in exercise. Mittleman says people tend to come to his work either through the sport of endurance running, or through his affiliation with Anthony Robbins- the world #1 peak performance and turnaround expert: I am part of the latter group.
The book is divided into three sections: 1. How to think for the distance. 2. How to train for the distance. 3. How to eat for the distance.
I found Mittleman's suggestions on the psychology of exercies very useful, and certainly not confined to the world of sports in its application. He encourages 'managing the moment', being aware of where we are right now, and treating life as a marathon rather than a sprint. e.g. in marathon running, we are not running 26 miles, we are running 1 mile 26 times. Endurance and being able to maintain our current pace forever seem to be the crucial elements.
Mittleman's advice on how to train aerobically and anaerobically has been tremendously valuable for me. Whilst the book is primarily about running, and certain information is specific to running (how to find the right pair of shoes), the information will be useful to swimmers, cyclists (like myself), walkers, and anybody who engages in sustained aerobic activity. The author encourages training with the aid of a heart rate monitor, and gives in-depth invaluable advice about the various training zones and how to constuct and individualised training programme. As someone who used to overtrain anaerobically I cannot over-emphasise the importance of learning this information before begginning an exercise programme. You see so many people running far too hard for their own good, with pained expressions on their faces, unknowing victims of the "No pain, No gain" fallacy. Mittleman emphasises the importance of learning to recognise which zone we are in (how intense the level of activity), and how to build our stamina effortlessly over time.
There is also a brief introduction to kinesiology and "Touch for Health" in the section. It was not something I expected to find in the book, but Mittleman clearly finds it very useful- it may encourage a number of readers to explore the subject futher.
The final section on nutrition challenges some of the long-held orthodox conceptions about sports nutrition. The basic thrust is that we should be using fat, rather than carbohydrate as our primary fuel, and that our diet should reflect this. This theory ties in with the work of Robert O Young, and Mittleman makes reference to Young's book "Sick and Tired" in the text. Read the material and decide for yourself- personally I have changed my diet in accordance with these principles and found my endurance and energy have improved.
What else can I say but BUY THIS BOOK! You owe it to yourself and your body! Happy training!
0Comment| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2007
I am not a runner although I do a lot of walking. I was reading an Antony Robbins book when I across a reference to this book. I wanted to discover how anybody could run 1000 miles in 11 days! But this book is about so much more than just running.

I found it an inspirational and highly motivating read. In particular, Mittleman talks about "being here, not getting there."

I have obviously picked up lots of tips about running and walking and I'm sure that following his programme would make me a good, injury free runner. But to me, the most important message from this book is that you can apply his techniques to many aspects of your life to help you achieve more and be happier in the process.

Also, this book reallys shows you what humans are capable of. We should all be celebrating Mittleman as a truly extraordinary man.
on 30 July 2010
I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who like myslelf have wanted to but have struggled with running.

I have for some time been following a training programme involving a mixture of cardio and weights, but find I am unable to completely carry out the cardio workouts each week. However, having read this book I have been able to completely change this aspect of my training. Within 6 weeks I have gone from running on a treadmill for 20 mins once or twice a week to running three to five times per week doing a mixture of road and treadmill running acheiving between 3 to 5 miles each session.

I not only have more energy, I am seeing a difference around my waist. And when I run I must also stress I do it in an enjoyable and relaxed manner. I have also suffered for a number of years with Shin Splints and despite trying many things have not gone away. Changing my running sessions as per described in the book I can safetly say that for 6 weeks now I have not even had a twinge in my shins.

The most positive impact on my life from reading this fantastic book is learning the benefits of fat buring as apposed to sugar burning, and not only that but how to actually train in a way that results in fat burning.

I would be extremely surprised if you were not to get anything from this book that helped you, even if was only something from the Food / Eating section that you could use in your daily life.
this is a book about running - but running in life's great race as well as the roads, moors and tracks which are the traditional domains of the runner.

Stu believes that we are all born to run, and he's written a book that is applicable to everyone - whether exercising, working, socialising the point is the same: do it so you enjoy it, don't treat it as some sort of punishment.

It also contains so much detail - what to eat (and how different people need different foods), how you feel, kinesiology, health vs fitness, what to wear; Stu really is the expert
on 5 July 2003
I think it would be hard to find a more expert person in this field than the author of this book.
Everything is covered from the clothes to wear, through the biochemistry and correct nutrition to the all important aspect of the mental and emotional factors.
You probably won't find a better book than this so buy it now !
on 2 April 2011
I was introduced to this book a couple of years ago. I read it and having been a distance runner I found Stu's approach most refreshing. I ran in the era when 'no pain no gain' was generally thought to be the way to train and the greatest mileage that you could achieve every day was the way to success. There was the concept of interval running but again the harder the better. Stu as an ultra long distance runner has been incredibly successful but his balanced approach to the sport is quite remarkable. His case studies of people he has helped are very interesting in as much as he has been able to adopt a very pragmatic approach and people have exceeded their expectations. This approach has enabled me to start thoroughly enjoying exercise at 73 and after a year I feel very invigorated. My recent purchase was a gift to our eldest daughter who is enjoying her running. My wife has also found the book enlightening.
on 19 August 2009
I've bought a lot of books on health, nutrition, diet and exercise.

I'd rate this book in my top 3, and I think once I get chance to re-read it a few more times to take on board the wealth of information it covers, possibly my best buy ever.

Firstly, look at Stu Mittlemans credentials. If anyone is able to run 3000 miles in 56 days, then you need to listen to what that person is saying!!!

A lot of my previous book buys turned out to be from people who were just plain WRONG. Their workout plans and nutrition advice never worked for me. (Many of them turned out to be owners of supplement companies or were trying to sell further books or subscriptions).

Stu Mittleman isn't trying to sell you anything. But I can tell you, I've changed my workouts and modified my diet since reading this book, and almost immediately see improvements. The "feedback" from my body is good, and I'm enjoying exercising again, for the first time in a long time.
on 24 May 2011
First fitness book I have bought and found it excellent. I am a novice runner, mainly running the streets to keep fit a few times a week but I am in training for a half marathon and hopefully a full marathon after that so bought the book to help me increase my distance. The book covers all aspects of running from the build up to mental strength, fitness plans, heart rate training and finally diet. I found it really helpfull in all areas and although I didnt adhere 100% to the strict diet of no sugar which the book suggested, I have compromised and managed to eat healthier which has resulted in me losing over a stone. My fitness is also greatly improved thanks to the tips in the book. I would recommend this book to anyone from novice to expert, there is something in there for everyone
Reading this reminded me of the training advice from a book I read in 1965 by Percy Cirutty Athletics: How to become a champion: 1 (Classic Revival) who was an Australian coach who thought training should be fun, less intensive, but far more extensive - in the way David Bedford trained after that time - lots of hours of free running to get the body used to running. But Percy's approach seemed to fade over the years and got replaced by the intensive, scientific, grinding it out to a plan, approach.

Here we have Percy's work relaunched in some ways. Gentler training regime, more fun, better use of body fat rather than burning only sugars, way less pain, but much more extensive in how time is spent training. In other words a more enjoyable, less painful, approach to training, but more hours spent.

It's pretty much all been said on other reviews - but if you would like to find a better regime than pounding the pavements in pain to get fit and /or lose weight, then this is a great book to get you replanning your schedule for more fun less pain - but still having an effective, winner's, end result.

Following the advice in this book, along with a Heart Rate Monitor, you could become fitter and more competitive than you've ever been. If you've plateaued, maybe this could be a new route forward?
on 30 March 2009
I couldn't even run for 5 minutes before I read this book. That was like 2 months ago. I can now run for hours and I am enjoying it. I am beginning to think of joining one of those charity runs. Thanks to Stu Mittleman!