on 30 November 2011
In general it had some good animation in it, which could be used in a lecture.
However, it is very old and is not updated, so you might find some wrong information there: like the number of human protein coding genes are 100,000!!!!!!
I was deceived by the fact that it was republished in 2005, but it seems that they only reprinted it, and not updated. I paid £20 for it, whereas I could have paid £3 for a 2nd hand one. Waste of money. Useful content though.
on 25 July 1997
This book is very cute, funny, and yet educational. I recommend this book to people who wants to know genetics without having to read "too much science". I personally, buy this book for my family and my boyfriend, to let them know what kind of field I'm interested in (I'm an undergraduate University of Indonesia student, studying genetics).
on 29 August 1997
this book is a great introduction for beginners or just interested people without a big knowledge in genetics. it shows the basic genetic mechanisms, whose understanding is essential for continueing literature. and by the way...who does not like reading comics?
on 8 October 2011
I got this book in preparation to do research in genetics after recommendation by my supervisor. Having little to no background knowledge in the area, it's been the perefect easy introduction to the concepts, key terminology and history of genetics. It's now being passed around many of my fellow new students (some who already have degrees in biology!) and everybody loves it. Good humour, clear explanation and excellent diagrams in there for those of us who are more visual in our learning.

Frankly, I'd even go as far as to recommend the book to anyone with a passing interest in the field who wants to gain some very fast understanding and a pretty solid grounding as to know what they are talking about. I'm going to go check out the other 'Cartoon Guide to...' books right now...
on 27 July 1999
This book is wonderful.I am an Egyptian geneticist and this book has added much to my way of teaching to my students.Now ,I can easily symbolize the behaviour of DNA during replication and transcription.The presentation of the authors of the the transcription process is so fascinating.Please send a thank you to the authors. \AHMED SHOUKRY AMIN, ASSISTANT LECTURER OF GENETICS., ZOOLOGY DEPARTMENT, FACULTY OF SCIENCE, CAIRO UNIVERISTY ,EGYPT. kemetcho@yahoo.com
on 6 November 2012
I found this book of immense help when revising for parts of my Life Sciences degree, if only for a bit of light relief!

As another reviewer has said, some of the figures are out of date but the basics are well covered and presented in an easily digested manner.

It is a suitable read for a wide range of ages and pre-existing knowledge. Quite an achievement for any science book (and, believe me, I've had to read some right horrors).
on 8 August 2015
My son was disappointed to find the cartoons were black and white, but once he'd got over that he enjoyed the book.
on 27 July 1999
This book is wonderful.I am an Egyptian geneticist and this book has added much to my way of teaching to my students.Now ,I can easily symbolize the behaviour of DNA during replication and transcription.The presentation of the authors of the the transcription process is so fascinating.An arabic edition has been issued and in low price affordable by students here in Egypt and so i recommeded it to my students as simple review book . Please send a thank you to the authors.GO ON. \AHMED SHOUKRY AMIN, ASSISTANT LECTURER OF GENETICS., ZOOLOGY DEPARTMENT, FACULTY OF SCIENCE, CAIRO UNIVERISTY ,EGYPT. kemetcho@yahoo.com
on 27 September 2016