Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 October 2001
This book offers a reading to reflect and meditate upon, for every day of the year.
The author writes from personal experience and,with knowledge of the world and how people relate to it and each other, she encourages and challenges us to examine who we are as individuals and how we live, think and work.
We are offered the opportunity to grow in our spiritual thinking and in our lives, and can also begin to become more disciplined in setting time aside for ourselves. Space for stopping and reflecting is important in this world where we rush around, living life at break-neck speed.
This book certainly encourages us to love ourselves more, respect others and learn to have a fullness of life, which many struggle to find and some never do.
The language Melody Beattie uses is rich, yet easy to read. She writes with relevence for today and has the skill and gift to make each reading personal.
This is a book well worth investing in. The personal gain is invaluable.
on 18 June 2001
Through writing of her own spiritual journey, Melody Beattie's book has realigned my life to one of spiritual freedom. I read it every night before I go to sleep, and each time I read it I get inspiration. I see my life and the world around me from a different angle and am able to discover a peace within me that is hard to find in this modern, technologically orientated world. I have just bought one for my sister, and have recommended it to endless friends. I recommend it to you as well.
on 28 March 2015
I have this book by my bedside, and read it on a regular basis. I find it very useful for keeping my tendency to grumble in check, reminding me to focus on what's really important. I also like the descriptions of the author's road trip and visits to sacred places. I am familiar with the author;s work on co dependency, which I found helpful many years ago, and find this book a useful companion for everyday life.
I added the original copy of the book I bought to the library of teaching books I keep for the class of (aromatherapy) students who are recovering from drug and alcohol addictions. They are very drawn to the book, and will often seek it out. Some have commented that they find it better than One Day at a Time, which is the book of daily meditations used in the AA and NA recovery programmes. I have the One day.... from Al-Anon, and agree that this one is less preachy, more empathic. I have another Hazelden daily meditation publication, called The Promise of a New Day, but Journey to the Heart is undoubtedly my favourite. I've lost count of the number of copies I have purchased for my students over the years. They don't even mind paying full price for it!
on 26 March 2016
I like this. It's not a 'how to' or a definitive guide. The chapters (days) are shorter than I expected, but it does contain some good info - things we all know but need reminding off. I tend to read at the end of each day to see if it might tie in with what's going on and then meditate on it before bed, but have a friend who swears it must be read in the morning so you can work your day round it, so I guess it's all about what works best for you, but I'm glad I bought it.
on 8 February 2016
This is really very good. If you are thinking "I wonder if I should get this" then I would recommend that you do. It is lovely, beautiful and inspiring, at once poetic and also practical. I like daily meditation books and this one is my favourite. I also like Molody Beattie's books - and this is my favourite of her's.
on 7 March 2014
I've bought this book approx. 6 years ago. I read it every night before going to sleep. When I finish it, I start again and have a message for myself every day. They are inspiring, especially at the end of the day before going to sleep. You will find the messages are for everyone and they are not rocket science but we do forget how we could enrich our life with simple things. The book is a great reminder! I often hear messages from this book in my yoga class as well.
on 29 October 2012
This is a newer direction for Beattie than previous meditation books. Previous ones have been focused on learning to let go of the roadblocks we experience in co-dependency, and they are fabulous! Al-Anon and CODA members find these to be extraordinary. 'Journey to the Heart' is a challenge to grow spiritually, mentally, and emotionally following a path to love of self and others. yum!
on 17 February 2015
What an inspiration to read this book every day. I am not familiar with all the places mentioned in the book but the ideas and thoughts and beautiful presentation makes this book truly special and helpful. I love it.
on 25 October 2009
well ive read this brillant ladies work.i use this everyday and it feels as i read each daily meditation that my heart is starting to feel whole again.
on 26 October 2011
I love this, is a joy to read every morning.
So gentle but insightful, helps set me up for the day, gives me something to be mindful of.