on 8 September 2011
I bought this book after attending a 'men's retreat' which stirred my interest in finding out more about the masculine archetypes within all men. I approached it with scepticism, as I always tend to with 'touchy-feely' books. Often they promise a lot but halfway through you find that they are just products of the author's self-indulgence and have little real value. Not so with this book. I found a complicated subject clearly explained in layman's language that isn't patronizing, just clear, approachable and human. As the various archetypes and their 'shadow' selves were revealed to me I found areas of difficulty within my life becoming much clearer and could identify with both positive and negative aspects of all the archetypes and how they may impact upon my life. As soon as I finished the book I re-read it to clarify some of the points I had identified and am making in-roads towards trying to come to terms with these 'men inside me', hopefully to make friends and live amicably with them - I'm not naive enough to think that I may be able to change them or make them go away, but this book gives you hope that you can make a truce with some of the 'maggots' burrowing away at the psyche and live a more peaceful and wholesome existence. A valuable book for any man who wants to get closer to the 'real man' buried inside him.
7 people found this helpful
on 18 December 2016
the book didn't really tell me anything i didn't already know, though it was interesting to read from a pschologists' point of view something I had previously encountered through spiritual practise. I very much enjoyed reading the book and found it easy to read. All the way through i found the examples they used to illustrate the nature and workings of the archetypes a little flimsy, though having said that i have to add that they were always totally appropriate because they would work across the board, which demonstrated their understanding of the human psyche. All in all, I loved it
on 25 August 2016
Being a great admirer of Joseph Campbell as well as Carl Jung I have really enjoyed this book and cannot recommend it enough to anyone interested in the connection of male psychology and the 'archetypes of the collective unconscious'. Those who do not agree with Jung's ideas most probably won't find this book good as the authors are indeed Jungians and build upon his work.
on 13 October 2017
Would go as far as to say it's probably the best £10 or under purchase I've ever made on Amazon, book or otherwise.

Very concise, understandable language makes it an easy read (as opposed to being fluffed up with excessively complex vocabulary).

Due to being concise, it's a pretty quick read too. The concepts are relatable and we'll explained.
on 28 February 2018
This book is a great way place to jump into that part of the world where mythology meets psychology, and it really is fascinating how deep the subject goes. While it is, from what I understand, a diluted and heavily flavoured version of jungian psychology it was a great introduction and I have gone on to read more both on that and symbolism in mythology.
on 6 July 2014
A book, a guide, an instruction manual, this work teaches you how to identify and get to the core of the archetypes that form the basis of our masculinity. With today's rampant feminism and men bashing in western societies, this book is a call for men to assert their true nature. The authors use Jungian archetypes to help men become centered, grounded a to rediscover their authentic nature and their true calling. I highly recommend this book for those who are seeking and for those who have lost touch with the core of their masculinity, either through conditioning or through modern western society's and the media's ridicule of masculine values. Highly recommended.
on 2 June 2018
Undoubtedly a book that will be reread to the point its digital seams might lose the will to live. If you're looking for an accessible introduction to Jungian theory and the archetypes of the masculine, it's a no brainer. Read this at least twice.
on 2 February 2013
I don't have a comprehensive knowledge of Jung but this book comes from an academic perspective and its rewards are in studying it as part of a general course of study in masculinity. With that in mind, it's really lovely as a piece of writing and it articulates its arguments really well, in a passionate and eloquent manner.
on 8 January 2015
Amazing book. Should be a must-read for all those who identify as masculine (male or female!) or have an interest in gender. If more people read this book, I doubt MRAs would be such a big problem.
on 12 December 2017
Good for the layperson looking to access some surprisingly sophisticated thoughts about Jungian archetypes and how they pertain to happiness, meaning and what makes male lives go out of kilter