Customer reviews

on 8 October 2017
This was my first book on Shamanism and loved it, it even lead me to a FSS Way of the Shaman workshop. Highly recommend to anyone who wants an intro to Shamanism
on 8 January 2018
First book on Shamanism I've read - seems like a superb introduction.
on 4 December 2017
Amazingly exciting book full of discoveries. This book made me feel part of something bigger than the world we are in today- it add on the history and traditional knowledge and practices used which work!
So informative and easily explained, definitely recommend!
on 18 November 2017
lovely book!
on 1 May 2017
Great book good service
on 22 January 2017
Interesting read
on 18 July 2017
This is good, this book essentially introduced (or invented??) Core (or contemporary) Shamanism. It's what the author found common to all tribes around the world. However, when you reduce a set of complex (at times) practices to a reduction in what is common, you lose what in my view is the nitty-gritty ''real'' Shamanism that is separately found in each tribe. Great beginners book but take it as that and look to deepen your knowledge with other materials. Core Shamanism is oft espoused as ''the way to go'' but if you leave it at that, then it reduces to essentially new age.
on 25 November 2017
Very illuminating and informative. Thank you Michael! And thank you to all my polyphasic brothers and sisters helping think a new way out of this sick society and culture we have let this sociopathic so called "capitalist" experiment create. We have some deep scars to heal.
on 26 September 2010
I liked the calm down to earth approach to a practice that can seem scary and dramatic to a novice.
Michael explains several methods of experiencing aspects of reality which one might otherwise never consciously encounter,and shows how these other dimensions might be beneficial.
He is clear and forthright about the dangers of such techniques and how to avoid them.
It gave me the confidence to try a journey with a drumming tape.. it was very enjoyable.
on 19 August 2010
I first read this book a couple of years ago. I am not quite sure why I bought it but I had a sudden desire to learn more about Shamanism.

The beauty of the book is that it is immediately accessible for someone with no-prior knowledge of Shamanism (although an open mind helps). It follows a logical path, each step and chapter explains new topics clearly and with a perfect amount of information for a beginner; enough so that you are learning but not too much that you could get confused.

I have just finished reading the book again, and remembered how much I had enjoyed it the first time. I didn't want it to end and it has inspired me to take further steps in to shamanic practices.

I thoroughly recommend this to anyone who has an interest in Shamanism and wants to learn the basics principles.

I would advise to buy a cd or mp3 of shamanic drumming to go alongside the book so that you are able to make full use of the techniques described as you read the book. If you were as captivated by me as the book you will read it in a couple of days and want to start making steps immediately.