Customer reviews

Great book good service
on 4 March 2015
Fast delivery...Good book
on 22 March 2017
This great classic on shamanism is more descriptive than about individual shamanic training.
on 22 January 2017
Interesting read
on 18 July 2017
This is good, this book essentially introduced (or invented??) Core (or contemporary) Shamanism. It's what the author found common to all tribes around the world. However, when you reduce a set of complex (at times) practices to a reduction in what is common, you lose what in my view is the nitty-gritty ''real'' Shamanism that is separately found in each tribe. Great beginners book but take it as that and look to deepen your knowledge with other materials. Core Shamanism is oft espoused as ''the way to go'' but if you leave it at that, then it reduces to essentially new age.
on 26 September 2010
I liked the calm down to earth approach to a practice that can seem scary and dramatic to a novice.
Michael explains several methods of experiencing aspects of reality which one might otherwise never consciously encounter,and shows how these other dimensions might be beneficial.
He is clear and forthright about the dangers of such techniques and how to avoid them.
It gave me the confidence to try a journey with a drumming tape.. it was very enjoyable.
on 19 August 2010
I first read this book a couple of years ago. I am not quite sure why I bought it but I had a sudden desire to learn more about Shamanism.

The beauty of the book is that it is immediately accessible for someone with no-prior knowledge of Shamanism (although an open mind helps). It follows a logical path, each step and chapter explains new topics clearly and with a perfect amount of information for a beginner; enough so that you are learning but not too much that you could get confused.

I have just finished reading the book again, and remembered how much I had enjoyed it the first time. I didn't want it to end and it has inspired me to take further steps in to shamanic practices.

I thoroughly recommend this to anyone who has an interest in Shamanism and wants to learn the basics principles.

I would advise to buy a cd or mp3 of shamanic drumming to go alongside the book so that you are able to make full use of the techniques described as you read the book. If you were as captivated by me as the book you will read it in a couple of days and want to start making steps immediately.
on 14 September 2009
To My Friends, Students, and Colleagues,

I wish to alert you to the fact that a new edition of my book has just gone on sale by my publisher (HarperCollins) without my awareness or permission. The title of this new edition is The Way of the Shaman: The Definitive Handbook, please do not be misled into buying it. This unauthorized book is simply a smaller-size version of the 1990 HarperCollins edition of The Way of the Shaman (which has no subtitle) with a new (unapproved) subtitle and new cover (see cover image, right) that contains errors and an outdated Appendix A. As Obama said about the Wall Street crisis, perhaps this is what happens without adult supervision. In any case, I had nothing to do with this misleading publication and am in the process of seeing what can be done to halt further distribution.

This OR (ordinary reality) stuff is really weird! Back to NOR.

All the best,

Michael Harner
on 20 July 2006
This is the single most important book on shamanism written by the man who knows the most. Michael Harner is an anthropologist working in this area for 50 years. A slim book with a concise exposition of "core shamanism" the basic common methods developed by peoples throughout the world. The techniques work and the basic journeying method to lower and upper worlds can be learned in a weekend workshop. If you want one book on shamanism - this is the one.
0Comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2017