on 26 March 2017
interesting book
on 9 March 2017
Good book which I enjoyed reading
on 12 January 2014
I loved this book. It's an interesting read, showing what an alternative childhood he had, which was useful and hindered him in later life. He comes across as a mixed soul, wise and worldly in some ways and not in others. It's sad that he took it on himself to provide and be the breadwinner for the family. The ending, surrounding his fatal overdose is a bit disgusting to think how shallow Hollywood was and still is, about his reputation getting out and tabloids stating that he was a drug user. It's respectful of the journalist not to take any photos of that night. It's a shame that he wasn't strong enough to stay off drugs, and the lure of LA and admit he had a drugs problem but who knows where he would have ended up today if he'd survived.
on 17 April 2014
This book is a well written nonjudgemental examination of not only River Phoenix 's childhood, stardom and family life but that of Hollywood and the stars we all believe we know so well today.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in and remember's River and the role he played in shaping the Hollywood and films of your youth but also to those who are interested in the background of Hollywood between the years of 1980's to 2000's.
I will admit that I purchased this book because I was one of those young girls with River's poster from 'Stand by me' in my room , that he tries so hard to escape from in the many quotes used through out the book. Having now read this book, i have a greater appreciation of the glass bubble this exposure puts on our celebrities especially our child stars,
i am now left pondering if River could or would have willingly have adapted to this new age of social media. What a waste of a life and talent. Your death will always be my 'where were you when it happened moment of my youth'. RIP RJP your work is done even if we your fans feel it was cut far to short.
on 15 December 2013
Totally took over my life for a few days - Couldn't put it down! Great book. Well written. Would definitely recommend to anyone.
on 26 April 2015
A must read, not only sharing the in depth life of a young and upcoming great actor who passed far too soon in his life, but gives an insight into Hollywood at that time, upcoming actors and musicians who 20 years on are now legends such a johnny Depp and the red hot chilli peppers and how all of their life's intertwined.
on 28 April 2016
read in 3 days, no much new information about him. only the bits from the other biographies that I already read. The writer gave a more insight of his drugs problems and some of Hollywood actors, but didn't name some names when should ( I hate when they mention someone and don't name the person)no much information about his family or about his funeral than we already know.
on 20 July 2014
I loved this book on River Phoenix. Always been a massive fan! It was an interesting read to delve into the life of someone I admired but knew nothing about. I would recommend this book to any River fans!
on 5 July 2016
Orderered this book as I love river phoenix and thought I could add it to my collection. It is a hard read and not sure I can bring myself to read it.as I personally feel I have no right to read it like I'm betraying rivers memory. Think I may just skip the bit about rivers death at the back of book.if I choose to read it at all.but there are some good pictures of river i have not got in my picture collection if i was to take a positive from it.but I don't think I will buy any more books on river.
on 6 August 2016
I loved this book! I bought it when I first found out about River, and since reading it I've learned more about him and his untimely passing. I wish I could have met him, because he has become one of my inspirations. As well, I lent this book to my best friend, and she also found it really interesting, so 5 stars!