on 30 October 2013
Ah the wonders of the author, writing only half a book and letting you wait for the rest. I'm surprised he Ethan Gage hasn't made it to the TV. Would transfer nicely and I'd watch it and buy the box set of DVD's
on 13 August 2013
I have not read every page but started it; read a fair bit, then moved on - read a bit more and read a fair bit before the end! Maybe that is a comment but I've been busy and it's not meant to be.
First, on the positive side, he is a superlative writer and can create charming repartee and excellent scenes - the Trafalgar battle for instance is exceptional as a narrative of ship conflict. So, this is an accomplished writer (all in my view it goes without saying).
However, and bear in mind I did not read all of it; I find the main character tends to slip inexorably from the noose to his next mission half way through the book (I will say no more as I do not want to spoil the reader's pleasure); this dramatic license is I guess necessary to preserve him but Ethan is clearly a Flashman come Sharpe type character who is (aren't they all) fantastically "un-killable!" This dramatic license is okay I guess but added to it; to my mind, is the rather weak plot about the barbed crown replacement at Napoleon's coronation. So, I just felt it was artistry hung on a poorly thought out plot peg. It's just my view and I guess ideas for these novels are never easy but I was not convinced that it was realistically feasible - Ethan's interaction in it all; nor the barbed crown idea. But, the writing saves it - I felt. Because of that I am giving it 4* but if I judged on the plot and realism of the character itself, rather than its context of action; it would be less.
on 25 February 2014
The author keeps up the high standards he has set in this wonderfully witty and epic saga with another great adventure with Ethan Gage.
on 16 February 2016
Ethan Gage series. Good enjoyable read for anyone who likes adveture laced with humour.