on 18 September 2013
This is a short story, padded out with background material and a dreadful amount of repetition. By the time I had read through the padding I had lost my immersion.

Though set in the far future, it's loaded with today's stereotypes, anti just about everyone outside the USA, and topped off with a dash of US patriotism for good measure. It really should have had a warning on the cover. `Unsuitable for non USA readers'

I did enjoy this authors work and I do love a good bit of Pulp Sci-Fi, but I feel Ian Douglas has scammed me with this novel.

I'll be passing on his output in future.
on 31 January 2018
Part iof a great series, not just the 'shootem up' novelisation of a game or film but a thoughtful and well structured series of book, series currently runs to 7 books Number 8 due later this year, to say I'm hooked its already on preorder. Would recommend.
VINE VOICEon 8 May 2013
I had read the first three books in this series and thought that it was finished although open for more. So book 4 came as a pleasant suprise and I would classify it as the start of a new related series as opposed to a 4th (its 19 years or so in the future). Ian Douglas has again managed to blend warfare and political infighting into a page turning enjoyable read, we have new characters to get to know and some old favourites that have moved up the chain of commmand. THis is a great read and I am only sorry that I finished it in a couple of days, now the long wait for the next one. If you have read the rest then you have to get this one, if you haven't then buy all four and enjoy a good dose of sci-fi space opera.
on 21 January 2015
Story line is good but the author has the habit of repeating things he seems to feel we have forgotten or not understood. This happens in each new book of the series (just about understandable) but sometimes gain in the same book. Quite annoying.
on 3 February 2014
Not a bad story line and tolerably written. But do we need the endless repetitions of technical detail like how the interstellar drive works? Very tiresome and I am an engineer. Perhaps Douglas gets paid on the word count.

Same goes for the first three books in this series.
on 25 October 2015
A great series of books - still reading them - a convincing future.
on 23 July 2013
An enjoyable read but re-used the plot and the characterisations. Not as complex or interesting as the first three in the series
on 24 February 2015
book 4 in the series, and a suitable pick up of the story 20 years on from the first 3
on 3 October 2014
another action pack book in the series
on 9 July 2013
I like this series of books, the previous books had quite a lot of historic detail. This book has the same historic detail but each event seems to be described more than once. The overall story and plot is good.