Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 31 July 2013
Even if you don't feel lilke you need to read a book about boosting happiness because you're already happy, you should anyway. This books tells you everything you need to know about living in the 21st century and gives you great examples and research based facts that you never knew you needed.
on 6 January 2013
I don't usually bother writing reviews for books that already have a comfortable number of good ones but I'm making an exception for this one. Entertainingly writen and inspiring, it's just convinced me to do my own happiness project, just in time for the start of 2013. Highly recommended.
on 20 May 2014
This book really made me look at things in a slightly different way and happier. I had it on my kindle but wanted the paperback to annotate and lend to people as it's such a great read.

It's good to know that despite anything really 'wrong' with your life sometimes we all struggle to feel happy.

I have started doing things that don't make me happy to make me happy like tidying as I go or before I leave the house in the morning as I love coming home to a tidy house. Taking life less seriously and laughing by the side of the road when my car broke down. Doing things I used to love colouring in and researching things for fun. Signed up to volunteer etc. I bought 5 identical white bras that I have to wear to work (which I hate having to go shopping for ) and spent out on train tickets Instead of staying home and missing friends and family. Also I have started collecting vintage tea sets as I love them and they look so pretty.

I am currently re reading it after first reading it a year ago to remind myself...looking forward to her next book on habits hopefully this will help me make a habit being happy
on 17 November 2014
This is a really interesting book. Rubin tries a wide range of techniques to increase the happiness in her life. I found it useful for additional ideas to try in my own life. Her references to all the research she has done can get a bit much a times but is not too overwhelming.
on 24 July 2012
This is definitely one of the best books I've read in a long time. I can't put it down. It has such great ideas and tips on how to make life that little bit simpler, and how to find joy in the small things (which I'd forgotten how to do!)
I would definitely recommend!
on 14 March 2012
I have found this book very shallow. It feels like in order to be happy you need to buy stuff. It's full of product placements (I wonder how much money she got just for that) and the author comes across as someone incredibly annoying. As I said it is the sort of thing you can read on the subway as it is very easy to read but hardly life changing. I will repeat myself but the product placements really annoyed me. I didn't even know you could do that with books!
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 August 2016
Really enjoyed this read. It is written in a engaging way and often made me stop and mull over the points being made. Big thumbs up. Will be looking for more books by this author now. If you are bothering to read the reviews - then I definitely think you should buy!
on 20 March 2015
Loving this! it's not a 'how to' book it's more a 'how i did it and let me inspire you' book and personally this works for me!
I got the audio version which I listen to in the car - entertaining and informative. Also l think its a very well researched book.
on 4 February 2013
I love New Year - a time to reflect and time for a new start. This book has shaped my thinking, made me laugh and inspired me. I recommend it to everyone I talk to but, where I would normally lend a good book after reading it, I will not part with this one.
on 6 November 2010
I'm writing this review only because nobody here represents those who do NOT like this book. It is one of the worst books I have read in some time. Why? Here's why:

1) Happiness, it's so cloying that by the end I was no tired of hearing that word that I would have taken ANY synonym available. But she never used one, not in the whole book.
I'm a firm knower (believer is too weak) that happiness lights on your shoulder like a bluebird (and not a fake one in a fake collection!) due to a life lived well.
To be fair, I THINK she was trying to talk about life lived well but ended up talking about bluebird collections and cleaning closets.
2) This is a very "popular" concept and I think trying to be a famous writer got in the way of writing a book with any seriousness to it. Where is all the intelligence it would take to be a Supreme Court clerk? And why did we have to keep hearing about the fact that she was? But she was one who didn't really care about the law. Why the heck did they hire her with all the people that must be vying for a break, living a passion for the law.
3) The chapters show me that she has no concept of, well, concepts. Who could really keep that whole wad of projects going for life? Couldn't we break it down a bit? Why not talk about love under friends, or friends under love or love under keep a contented heart.

All in all, I wanted very much to like this book but the title scared me, and sure enough, it's popular, let's make some money drivel. Go clean your closet (if you want a clean one), and skip this book.
11 Comment| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse