Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 17 February 1998
A crime has just been committed, and it is up to Agatha Christie's renowned detective, Mr. Poirot, to solve this one. This time the victim is a passenger on the Orient Express, a famouse early twentieth century passenger train. By coincidence, Mr. Poirot ia also traveling on the Orient Express, and quickly takes on the task of finding the killer. His task, however, is not an easy one, because, as he digs deeper into the case, he finds some suspicous information concerning the victim and his fellow passengers. The Murder on the Orient Express is one of Agatha Christie's truely excellent novels. Agatha Christie uses her innate talent for writing to develop some wonderful characters. My favorite, Mr. Poirot, has such class and intelligenge. He uses his charm to his advantage in solving the case. The reason I enjoyed this book so much is, it was written so that I could speculate on who committed the crime, however when the criminal was revealed to me I was in shock. The case seemed so complicated, yet it was really quite simple. I am very much looking forward to reading more of Agatha Christie's work.
on 30 December 2001
As my eyes couldn't run across the page fast enough I was begging with my housemates to reveal the impossible ending that was coming towards me like the express train itself.
Luckily they didn't. There are few books that make one speechless after reading them but this was mine, though after my initial awe I bleated my admiration of the author to everybody I met.
Although I am normally only a fan of Miss Marple in Agatha Christie's works, she weaves her wand of compassion over Poirot and the passengers of the train, allowing the fabric of reality to settle around a moral conclusion which grips you and pulls you until the last.
Although a relatively young reader I appreciated it with memorable vigour. Make sure you have a spare day because it will not leave your sight!
on 16 October 2006
This novel is widely feted as Christies masterpiece, due to the fact it is the most dramatised, but it does not comapre to 'The ABC murders' or 'And Then There Were None', or even 'The Murder Of Roger Ackroyed', that said it is one of the most devious. If anyone solves this murder before the conclusion (and without prior knowledge) I would be very surprised, and essentially that is what we want from Christie, a conclusion that is a complete revelation.

At first, I must admit, the conclusion seemed very far fetched, but then one goes away and considers it is not really so, and that the cryptic clues were all in fact directing us to the truth.

The thing I love about Christie, apart from her undeniable geniues, is her style. I mean, it is so easy to read. Her descriptions are so cursory they essentially allow our imaginations to roam, and everyone will have a different mental image of scenery and events. The characters are very much of their era, and very quaint.

If you want a true puzzle, if you love Christie, or even if not, this is essential reading. The clues are all there for the reader, but if you piece them together and breach Christies twist (I term it as such, because all her novels essentially contain a twist, that if you can see through it the story falls into place), you will adore this book.
on 23 February 2006
The talents of Mr. Suchet are amazing. He just reads the Hercule Poirot books as he plays them. He has many different voices for all the different characters. You never get tired of listening to his voice! I can highly recommend all the Poirot books read by David Suchet(I have them all)!! A 5 star plus! I hope he will read many more.
VINE VOICEon 19 May 2014
One of the most famous Christie novels, this takes place in an archetypal cut-off environment, a snowbound train in the Balkans in the inter-war years, with no means of communication with the outside world. The ratiocination and simplicity of the prose is as smooth and satisfying as ever. However, I did not find the final resolution of the murder at all plausible, so this soured the ending for me. One other feature that amused me, but which jars now, is the readiness to believe that different nationalities are all of the same type - so an Italian man is suspected because the murder weapon is a knife that suits their hot Latin temperament, unlike that of an Englishman or American.
on 12 May 2011
I have been a fan of Agatha Christie ever since I saw "Death on the Nile" on TV. I bought this fascimile edition of "Murder on the Orient Express" with the fascimile edition of "Death on thye Nile", and I have to say... they are wonderful! It feels like you are holding a first edition! It even has an ad for the Crime Club, with the enrolment voucher! Even the faded letters! And the story was very inventive, with a VERY surpsising ending! Read the book before you see the film! And buy this edition!
on 11 April 2007
The first Agatha Christie book I've ever read. WOW. Amazing. I think she hypnotized me. I couldn't put this book down! Everything about the book was great, the characters, the plot lines, I was extremely sad to learn about the incident/tragedy that started all the plotting though. Poirot was hilarious as he was so blunt at times. I am definitely going to read more of her books. Bring on the mysteries!!!
on 24 July 2016
Normally if a film is made from a book then the book is much better. Not in this case. I usually enjoy Agatha Christie but this was disjointed, very put-d ownable and the reader is expected to be able to read French. Despite its apparent popularity it's not her best by a long way
on 1 November 2010
I loved it. But quite clearly, you have to like vintage who-done-its in order to love any Agatha Christie story - certainly not everybody's cup of tea.

And with David Suchet as speaker - perfect bliss!
on 5 May 2015
This is one of my favourite Christie books (and I have read everyone she wrote) along with 'Murder in Mesopatamia' and 'The Sittaford Mystery'. In 'The Orient Express', Poirot is at his best -brilliant but humane. The characters are well portrayed, and the plot...well, it maybe needs a little suspension of reality, but it's non the worse for that. One i return to time and again for a light read (even though I know who did it...it wasn't the butler!).