TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 January 2014
The follow up to Freakonomics covers similar ground but is less broad. The result is that the authors go into more detail on some areas and can get a bit lost in detail (which to be fair the original showed signs of towards the end of the book). Some themes will be familiar to those who read the first book - particularly the odd questions that give surprising answers and the emphasis on the shock value for subject matter (prostitutes, terrorists and global warming in particular here). The book is still quite interesting but not as good as the first one. So often sequels are not as good as the original but the basic economic idea of supply and demand explains why they get produced - you don't need Freakonomics to explain that.

For me, the problem here is that the authors try to go too deep into the ideas when what is interesting is quite easily explained. If you are going to read both this and the original, I'd read this one first to avoid being disappointed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 January 2013
Book2 will make the authors a lot fewer enemies than Book 1. As much as it will please their friends, however, it won't make them many new ones.

If they had left out the drug dealing from Freakonomics and the prostitutes from Superfreakonomics what we'd be left with would be a book I could buy for my mom (and myself, who are we kidding here?) as an awesome amuse-bouche for Microeconomics. And none of the impact would have been lost, in my view.

Instead, we got two books.

All that said, Superfreakonomics would easily qualify for 4 stars if I did not already have the less superlative first opus on my bookshelf, because 1. it's a good study of human behaviour 2. it's very easy to read and 3. it's fun. Since I do own Freakonomics, I'll only award it 3 stars.

If a friend who's read the first book asks me about the second one, I'd probably say "you've got the idea, this is just the less interesting examples that did not make it into the first book" and quite frankly I'd recommend that he read the Tim Hartford book or something. That said, I have not read the Hartford book. And that's probably a good summary of how I feel about the Superfreak.

On the other hand, if Freakonomics left you wanting more, you'll get it here. It's just that it's a lot less radical. Nothing in here to match the crime-fighting impact of letting unhappy pregnancies end early.

In summary, this is not The Empire Strikes Back. It's Police Academy 2. A fantastic movie, I seem to recall, but if you missed it, there was always Police Academy 3 to look forward to.
VINE VOICEon 5 May 2014
OK, some of the stories are dated now and it would be great to get a Super Super Freaknomics (vol 3) as it is really opens one's mind as to cause and effect. Perhaps we could have some European examples as the book is predominantly Stateside (then should be mandatory for all politicians to read as it would improve their decision making skills).
Makes for great dinner party conversations. I recommend both the Freakonomics books to everyone I meet (especially my Management students at college). It doesn't have to be read cover to cover - it can be dipped into.
Be entertained and educated - cheap at twice the price.
VINE VOICEon 11 August 2010
This is a worthy follow up book and I read this one from cover to cover also. The chapter headings highlight rather trivial points from the text and give a poor indication of the content, which is much richer and wider ranging than you might think.

Some reviewers have complained that there are mistakes in the chapter about global warming. With such a controversial topic it's hardly surprising that some people see problems with it. However, potential readers should know that this chapter is little more than a report of a meeting at a company called Intellectual Ventures where experts debate ways to solve the global warming problem. I found this an interesting chapter because the ideas they discussed were not the ones we are so used to hearing about, and some of the schemes seemed at least as good or better than the more familiar approaches. It is a stimulating read even if, as is typical, there are problems with schemes that still need to be solved.
on 31 July 2015
I REALLY ENJOYED THIS BOOK. I FOUND OUT SO MUCH ABOUT WORLD AFFAIRS AND HOW TO LOOK AT THINGS FROM MANY DIFFERENT ANGLES. HELPED WITH DISCUSSIONS WITH FRIENDS ALSO AND MADE ME LOOK FAR MORE INFORMED THAN I REALLY AM. IT ENABLED ME TO QUOTE STATISTICS TO FACILITATE MY ARGUMENTS. VERY INTERESTING
on 14 July 2013
I was happy to get down to reading another edition of Freakonomics this time Super Freakonomics. I remembered when I first read Freakonomics I was talking about it for days. The result was slightly less enjoyable this time.

I'm not entirely sure if It was because the author kept talking about economists as these purely inquisitive people or the subject matter was just not that interesting. There seemed to be no true moments of shock that I experienced with the first book. Nothing really gripped me, or made me think in a different light.

So buy it, it's very cheap but don't expect to be blown away.
on 20 June 2015
I saw the movie version of Freakonomics (which is great) and so I was keen to read Superfreakonomics. I wasn't disappointed! It's both reassuring and frustrating to find that there are affordable solutions to some of the world's problems - but that politicians prevent them from being explored. A very easy and stimulating read. My only complaint is that it wasn't longer!
on 10 June 2014
This is the second of the Freakonomics trio and it is slightly weaker than the other two (Freakonomics and Think like a Freak). Nonetheless it is an interesting (and amusing) book. I've given it four stars so I can give five stars to the other two books.
I do actually have all three books in paperback and am putting them onto my Kindle as well which says a lot for what I think of them.
on 18 February 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
You will either love this or hate it. The authours hav built on their previous success and gone for overtly provocative and stimulating targets, playing up to a sort of slightly 'lounge bar' moral ambivalence. As you can tell from the reviews above, this works for some, less so than others. Historically, thier timing is poor, unwittingly supplying an unexpected filip to the climate sceptics, and a cheery headline for the Murdoch press. There genuinely is plenty of interest here, but you might need to hold your nose.
on 1 June 2012
I enjoyed the original Feakonomics very much. The application of research tools to wicked problems was intellectually satisfying, engagingly written and fresh. So I anticipated the sequel with some interest.
As it stands this book will be most meaningful to Neo-Cons, advocates of the Chicago School and other kinds of far right theorists who use economics as a kind of determinist force to explain the world.
I did like the chapter about unintended consequences though.