Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 8 January 2017
I have read some very mixed reviews about this one but as always i like to make my own mind up. I have read books by this author before and i enjoy her writing style. The basics of the story might not be new or ground breaking but it is a well written historical romance with likable and engaging characters , I loved annabel and ross. I found the book very easy to read and finished it the a day.
on 31 October 2013
I have been reading books ever since I got my 1st Kindle and I cant get enough of them.
This book took me into another world, would recommend to anyone, you get absorbed in the story.
You never know what is going to happen next, this series has you hooked so expect lots of late nights reading.
Definitely not one series to miss.
on 4 April 2017
Tried several times to finish the book just couldnt justify the waste of time. I really could not connect with the couple worst book ever
on 8 August 2017
Good value
on 9 March 2015
Couldn't put it down loved every minute of stepping into the story of these endearing characters lives!! Off to read more by this author.
on 30 April 2017
Enjoy very much
Oh my. This book is classic Lynsay Sands. It is everything I love in my romances. It has the pre-requisite hot hunk in a kilt who is, of course a sex god, he is also thoughtful and kind and did I mention he was hot? Then we get to the heroine. At first glance, she seems as if she is going to be a useless, fumbling ditz, but that glace would be incorrect. Annabel may have been raised in a convent ready to become a nun, but when she needs saving, she generally saves herself and maybe even saves Ross!

The story briefly without spoilers - Annabel is the second daughter and has been confined to a nunnery since she was seven. Her sister Kate had been contracted to marry Ross, but for reasons you will see when you read the book, the deal falls through. Ross and Annabel marry, leave her parents house and all of a sudden someone is trying to either kill Annabel or to kidnap her.

The end of this book really surprised me because the person after Annabel was sure not one that I would have ever thought of. Clever move Ms. Sands!

Annabel is worried that by not being raised to be a Châtelaine that Ross will end up throwing her over when he finds out and while Annabel cannot lie about her upbringing, she sure can put off telling the truth with the best of them!
This book has all the elements that the typical Lynsay Sands book has, wonderfully written main characters generally strong but with some sort of flaw, funny and loveable secondary characters, an interesting mystery and most importantly a bit of a message to us women.

I think Ms Sands does a wonderful job in each of her standalone's of promoting the message that we women are perfect the way we are and that usually we allow others petty jealousies to shape our idea of ourselves. I don't particularly like the idea that most authors push the idea that it only takes a good man to force us to see ourselves as the perfect women we always have been, but this is a romance and certain ideas need to be followed. Ms Sands promotes these ideas in the best way possible and I love her writing because of it.

One of my favorite lines in this book-"Annabel began to soap herself. It seemed she would marry, be a wife to this unknown Scot, the mother of his children, and lady of his people...Lord save them all."
on 2 August 2013
I did really enjoy this new offering from Ms. Sands and I'm eager for the next in the series.

Annabel is everything you could want in a heroine - brave, naive, innocent, irrepressible, strong. She is thown into a nunnery age 7, her parents paying half the price of what her dowry would have been if they had managed to marry her off in the future. She was unnecessary to them as they had her beautiful, older sister Kate to make a strong union. 12 long years later, Annabel is surprised when her mother appears at the abbey and whisks her away to save them all. Before the end of the day she is married to a huge, ruggedly handsome Scotsman. Ross McKay is taken with his bride as soon as he sets eyes on her and is eager to whisk her away from her uncaring family. He watches as Annabel beguiles not only him but his strong sentries and all those in his keep. So who is trying to do them harm? How can be control his feelings for her (especially on days when 'bedding' is banned by the church) and keep her safe when she is trying to be the lady he deserves?

It's a fun story that bounds along at a good rate without you feeling like it's being rushed. Its not straight forward enough to be boring but also not especially complicated. I'm sure as like me, most of you will quickly figure out who is behind the attacks on Annabel and her scrummy husband but it's still interesting to read it play out. A problem for me was the maths. If you count the ages and the years, they don't tally together. Details like that really bother me. The other main problem was the price; bit steep if you ask me, especially considering the quality of some of the books you can get for the kindle for free. If you don't like your romances with bed scenes and you haven't read a book by this author before, you should stick clear of Ms. Sands although for the rest of you they are better written than most and do actually have a place in the story. A good read all the same, if price and accuracy doesn't put you off, you probably will enjoy it
on 29 June 2013
As always innocent funny works. Another brilliant read to add to my contemporary and historical Lynsay Sands collection. Please release A Mother's Way in ebook. Thanks very much.
on 6 February 2016
Ross MacKay was contracted to wed Kate Waverly however she has run off with the stable boy. The Waverleys' then decide to bring Annabel back home, as she was in a convent soon to take the veil. On the same day she arrives home she weds Ross and this is when the troubles begin!

Annabel's family was the worst! I just wanted to slap her mother silly!!!. Annabel was a sweet sweet girl and despite how her family treated her she still remained as sweet as ever. Ross, recognising the true gem that Annabel is decides to marry Annabel despite finding out from the beginning that she was in fact the second daughter. Ross was a very fair and very kind to Annabel, he was the rock and strength Annabel needed to become her own person and have the strength to ultimately face her sister Kate. I won't say any more as I do not want to give the plot away.

Like I stated this was a very sweet story (too sweet at times) and the fact that Ross kept falling asleep even after all that was going on just didn't make sense, you would think he would be more alert. But despite this I still enjoyed the book and if you are looking for a light, sweet and low on angst read then you should give this book a go.

I am a big fan of Lynsay Sands so when I saw this book I quickly wanted to read it. It was not one of my favourites however this was still a good light read.