Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 28 February 2014
I absolutely loved this installment. It cleared up some back questions and felt like the series was drawing to a close. There are some leftovers that may pave the way for another book but it did feel like an ending. I stretched it out for as long as possible and finally finished last night, was a weird edge of wanting to devour the book and trying to make it last. For die hard fans it does not disappoint!
If this is the first book you have been recommended in the series, STOP NOW, find the first I think it was the good the bad and the ugly ah no -
Dead Witch Walking
The Good, The Bad, and The Undead
Undead in The Garden of Good and Evil--Ivy novella in the anthology Dates From Hell.
Every Which Way But Dead
A Fistful of Charms
"Dirty Magic"--Mia short story in the anthology Hotter Than Hell.
For A Few Demons More
"The Bridges of Eden Park"-Kisten/Rachel short in the US mass market edition of For a Few Demons More
Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel--Robbie/Rachel/Pierce novella in the anthology Holidays are Hell
The Outlaw Demon Wails (retitled Where Demons Dare in the UK)
"The Bespelled"-Ceri/Al short story in the US mass market edition of The Outlaw Demon Wails
Also in anthology Demons, edited by John Skipp
White Witch, Black Curse
Ley Line Drifter--Bis/Jenks novella in anthology Unbound
Black Magic Sanction
Pale Demon
Blood Work -- Graphic Novel of Rachel's year interning under Ivy at the IS.
Hollows Insider -- Hollows world book. Full-color, illustrated "coffee table" book. (It's amazing)
A Perfect Blood
Harrison compilation -- Into the Woods (October 9, 2012)
Blood Crime (October 31, 2012) Graphic Novel of Rachel's year interning under Ivy at the IS.
Ever After (January 22, 2013)
The Undead Pool (February 25, 2014)
11 Comment| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 March 2014
Like others I have waited a long time for this book, I tried to read is slowly to make it last, but unfortunately, (like eating a bar of chocolate), it was impossible. The story lines were tied together nicely and although it seems the series is ending I do hope there is another book to tidy the last few remaining ends up, On the other hand Ms Harrison, you could please a lot of the population of many countries and keep on writing this series, what are we supposed to do without Jenks and his wonderful cussing? I supposed I will just have to start at the beginning and read them all again. I have just re-read all of the Dana Stabenow 'Kate Shugak' books again it is is surprising what you actually forget. So, hopefuly Rachel and company will keep me entertained again.
on 6 March 2014
Just brilliant. I am so sad that this is the last book in the series. But wow what a book! Loved it. Just brilliant writing. I will have too read all the books again this series is unique wonderful and finishes with the knowledge that it was worth every single penny. Thank you Kim x
on 19 August 2017
loved this book ( hallows series)
on 11 June 2014
This is a great series, and this book answers a number of questions. Although each story is self contained, you will get much more out of it if you start with the first book in the series. Kim Harrison's stories have never disappointed me.
on 25 March 2014
Really good, loved seeing new connection and relationships, could not put it down. Its always original story line with Kim Harrison. Please give us another book with Rachel.
on 9 August 2017
Yet again Kim Harrison dragged me in and wouldn't let me go; loved it!
on 27 October 2014
It was with great trepidation that I finally made myself read this book as I really don't want this series to end. There's only one more book to come and then the hellacious ride through the Hollows with Rachel Morgan will be over. This series has spanned both human and demon realms and introduced characters that will stay large and proud in this readers memory and yet again with this book the aurthor surpasses all my expectations.
Rachel may have started out as a witch but these days she admits that she is a day walking demon and her talents ( not to mention soft heart!) have led her to providing security for the elf Trent . Their relationship has always been an unusual one but times are changing and it looks as if Trent might just be changing too but with so much hatred between the races it's going to be a bumpy ride. Something strange is happening and magic is out of control. The Goddess who the elves worship is splintering and someone is out to use her power in an all out war. The undead master vampires are not able to wake up and chaos is raining down on the streets which is causing widespread panic. Rachel needs help but her fellow Demons despise the Elven race and will happily sit back and watch their world collapse. Rachel has no choice though as the ley line she created is connecting her to a wild magic that's more dangerous then anything she has faced before. Just who is causing this and how can Rachel stop them ? Life , love and sanity are all on the line and time is running out as the Hollows begins to burn!
Wow just wow. This author always grabs my attention but this book just had so much going on. First I must mention the cover, Trent! Oh yes for the first time we get to see that tricky Elf and there's a very good reason why he shares the cover . This book will please many readers as there's a lot of Trent in it but fans of the Demon Al will probably be left screaming I'm afraid. Yes old friends appear loud and proud and without too many spoilers there's a chase that is a thrilling ride featuring all of them! Ive often had a problem truly understanding the symbiotic relationship between the living and the undead vampires in this series but in this book it's made plain just how important that fine balance is. There's more than one protagonist for Rachel to take on and we are finally getting answers about what really happened between the Demons and Elves and truthfully it's not a pretty picture. Their animosity has crippled both races and now it looks as if Rachel is well and truly slap bang in the middle of it. Can that girl ever catch a break?
So well written that I am in awe. I didn't want to miss a single word and even though I usually seem to inhale books at rapid speed with this I just had to take my time and enjoy every single second. This book has so much happening and I just don't know how the series will end. This author has ripped her readers hearts apart in the past and I'm concerned that she might do it one more time. It's starting to look as if there's a happy ending for many of these well loved characters but with the Elves and Demons still at each other's throats anything can happen!
The Undead Pool by Kim Harrison

Although much of this book centers on what is happening to Cincinnati's various Vampire populations, the rest of it is about the long anticipated story of Rachel and Trent. There is so much happening to the humans as well as the Vamp, Demon and Elvin population that at times it can be a little stressful. That stress can hit hard especially when Ms Harrison tries to `teach' us too much stuff at one time.

This book can be a bit confusing at times, because there is so much action of the `hurry up and wait' variety. However once you get to the 50% point things take off on a full gallop. Once I got to that point, I could not for the life of me put this book down.

The character growth is amazing in this novel. The emotions are raw and honest between all of the characters that you just want to weep at times. Old friends (?) or enemies depending on how you want to look at it will seem to be permanently taken out of the last book, but I have my doubts.

I cannot say too much more for fear that I will be giving away the best part of this book...I will just say that this was what I consider to be the best book yet. I am deeply troubled that we only have one book left to this series and I am eagerly looking forward as to how Ms Harrison is going to tie everything up and keep her readers happy!*ARC supplied by publisher for reviewing purposes*
on 25 February 2014
To say this book is highly anticipated might just be the biggest understatement I’ve ever made. I can think of no other series where the author has led readers to such an unbearable edge of anticipation, held them there mercilessly for what seems like millennia, and made them grateful for it. It smacks of pure masochism if you ask me. I had no idea I swung that way, but apparently I’m all for it.

Of course, I’m talking about the Trent-Rachel relationship. What else? It’s quite positively the most addictive, thrilling, nail-biting storyline I’ve ever read ever in the history of ever. And since we’re only one book away from the end of this genre-changing series, it’s time for things to get serious. Isn’t it? Please? Please let it be time to get serious!

Now, you know I can’t actually tell you anything about that part of it. And really, you don’t want me to. You might be thinking you want me to, but you’re mistaken. So just put it out of your mind, ‘kay?

Okay, good.

Moving on, what else is happening in this instalment? Well, lots of things! For starters, strange bubbles of magic are cropping up all over Cincinnati, causing misfires in Inderlander’s innate magic and the spells they cast. It quickly becomes a full-scale epidemic involving the F.I.B , the I.S. and the vampires. So who better to tackle the problem than everybody’s favourite go-to girl, the glue that holds them all together, Rachel Morgan. Luckily, these days Rachel has several sidekicks on standby— none more splendiferous than the most recent addition, Trent Kalamack! And even better, she’s now developed to the point where she will actually accept people’s help gladly. Between Trent’s resources, Rachel’s tenacity, Ivy’s planning, and Jenks’...Jenksness, they’ve surely got this problem in the bag, right?

Well, maybe, maybe not. This might just be the biggest challenge Rachel and crew have ever faced. It’s not just the scale of it, but the unpredictability. How can they prevent something when they have no way of anticipating where will be hit next?

In usual Harrison fashion, the pacing of The Undead Pool is spot on. The story evolves naturally with gorgeous little interludes showcasing the beautiful friendships that have been established over the last 12 books. At this point, reading a Hollows novel is like slipping into my most comfortable jeans. It’s such a warm, delightful place to be, I never want to leave. I find myself watching the percentage on my Kindle increase with dismay. Why can’t it just last forever? I wouldn’t mind, honest! And to think there’s only one more book left...*sobs*

What will we do, guys? What will we do?!

Like the last several books in this series, The Undead Pool is an easy five star read for me, and Harrison’s place in my mind as the leader of the pack is holding firm. I predict this book will be a fan favourite, with several sections highlighted for easy reference and dog-eared from overuse. And trust me, mine will be no exception!

5 Stars ★★★★★
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.