Customer reviews

on 26 October 2010
review
I stayed up late to finish this book because it was so good.

Three years ago the marriage between Claire Lyons and Morgan Lyons, the 8th Earl of Westcliffe, was destroyed before it really began. Westcliffe found Claire and his brother in bed together and since then she has lived seperated from her husband. Westcliffe spent the last three years living like a single man and did everything to forget Claire and the fateful night that hurt him so much.
But now it's finally time for Claire to come back into Westcliffe's life and to try to win him back. She needs his help to plan her sister's first season but also wants to show him that she has grown up and is no longer the insecure teenager she was.
Claire is willing to work hard to get back his trust and hopes that Westcliffe will finally stop bedding other woman and will concentrate totally on her. Westcliffe doesn't want to be hurt again but he can't hold back for long because Claire is the one woman who can reach his heart.
Will he be able to trust into her again before it's too late and will he be able to finally believe Claire about what really happened in their wedding night?

Historical romances are often hit or miss for me and "Passions of a wicked Earl" was definitely a big hit. It's actually the first book by Lorraine Heath that I read but it will not be the last.
I enjoyed pretty much everything about this book. I especially liked reading about Westcliffe and Claire and loved to see how their relationship changed and how they began to trust each other. No development was rushed and that's another plus. I also enjoyed reading about Westcliffe's brothers and can't wait to learn more of them.
Westcliffe was on the first glance harsh, stubborn and very arrogant but soon after starting the book I began to like him. He's a complicated character and actually quiet insecure when it comes to relationships. There are some heartbreaking scenes between him and his dog and I loved that in these moments you could see who he really is. Sometimes his actions frustrated me however I understood his reasons. I especially enjoyed the scenes when he finally began to understand that he was not the perfect betrothed/husband and in contrast seemingly arrogant and unfeeling.
Claire is Westcliffe's perfect match and I also enjoyed reading about her. She has grown into a strong woman and understands that she made mistakes in the past. I loved that she could see the man behind the facade and that she was willing to give Westcliffe time to change.
There's also some mystery going on that in the end helped Claire and Westcliffe to finally overcome their issues.

cover
The cover is ok, not bad but also not wow.

final appraisal
"Passions of a wicked Earl" is a very entertaining and lovely book. I enjoyed that the relationship between the heroine and hero changed slowly and I rooted for them right from the start. This book made me excited to read more of the characters and other books by Lorraine Heath.

London's Greatest Lovers series
1. Passions of a wicked Earl
2. Pleasures of a notorious gentleman
3. Waking up with a Duke (2011)
on 3 June 2012
another easy read quite nice enough i just did not feel the smooth change from hating someone for three long years to suddenly loving them so easily even if he loved her all along all the descriptions of how stunningly gorgeous the woman he was cheating on her with didnt help either plus though we were constantly told he wanted his wife now he kept on going back to visit the other woman even if it was just dinner and being told he cared about her enough to get a divorce definitely put a damper on the romance and me believing he truly loved the heroine but i really did enjoy it
on 1 March 2017
Bland, disappointing compared to other series from the same author.
on 1 September 2017
A great insight into Victorian England .The hero and heroine a product of their time. Claire triumphs in the end.
on 10 December 2010
This is the second book I have read by this author and as with the first I thought this a great storyline with passionate, interesting characters. The story line kept you interested while therelationship between the characters was believeable and for a change this author make bold believeable females. the story made me cry at times but not overly and the passionate moment were exactly that. It took me just one day to read as I couldn`t put it down. cant wait to read the next book in this series.
on 7 November 2010
My thoughts: Though I love historical romances, (the cover and) the blurb gave me pause when I picked up this book: to start off a romance with the heroine being discovered on her wedding night in bed with the groom's brother didn't sound something I could just overlook in the heroine of a romance novel. But I put my faith in Lorraine Heath hoping she would honour romances and she did!

You soon learn at the very beginning, that on that ominous wedding night Claire was barely 17 and terrified of the intimacy her wedding night would entail since she didn't know at all the man whom she married that day. Stephen, the younger brother of her husband and her childhood friend proposes a scheme for her to gain some time during which she can get to know her husband before becoming intimate with him, and that plan is the one which backfires and results in Stephen being severly beaten up by his brother and shunned by his whole family and Claire being exiled to the country for three years.

Claire is a sympathetic character because besides being beautiful and gentle (the basic requirements of romance heroines) she is compassionate, protective and very loving. She is patient and now that she spent those three years of exile understanding the consequences and ramifications of her act, she clearly sees and deeply regrets what she has caused to her husband.

Westcliff is a jaded and deeply hurt man. He is honourable and loyal and thus the betrayal of her young bride (with his brother nonetheless!), whom he admired and loved back then, broke him forever.

The gradual development and growth of their relationship was done beautifully and realisticly. I loved that in this romance the hero and heroine did not fall in love with each other only because of the other's "penetrating gaze" or "tempting figure", but because they came to know each other gradually, saw the small but important things the other did: how selfless and deeply protective Claire was of her little sister, or how warm hearted and generous Westcliff was to Claire's sister or how deeply he loved and mourned his dog.

Lorraine Heath gave us wonderful secondary characters I cannot wait to revisit again: Westcliff's meddling and quite scandalous mother, her philosophical and kind painter lover, Ainsley the mature mediator brother. The only character who really got on my nerves was Beth, Claire's sister. She was a spoilt, selfish, immature prattling girl who threw hissy fits whenever one of her whims was not fulfilled right away. Aargh..

My only complaint was the need for that death threat at the end, was it really necessary? I believe that the story could have been resolved very well without that twist..

Because of these two small complaints I give it 4.5 stars.

Verdict: Passions of a Wicked Earl is a wonderful romance with an interesting and unique plot, complex and real characters, deep layers of emotions and sweet and hot love scenes. A fantastic read!

Plot: 8/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 9/10
Writing: 9/10
Cover: 8/10
on 18 April 2012
Cannot recommend this book enough it's very emotional, loved the story and loved the characters. Couldn't put it down I will definatly be reading more by Lorraine Heath.
on 6 November 2014
Oh my God, what a story!!!!! I enjoyed reading this book, could not put it down! Read within 24 hours of purchased.