on 14 December 2014
The Mysterious Howling is centred around Miss Penelope Lumley who leaves her school in order to apply for a governess job for three children at Ashton Place. The advert emphasises that the governess has to be good with animals. As Penelope arrives at Ashton Place she finds out the three children are naked and wild. They were found by Lord Ashton in the woods. It’s clear that the children have been raised by wolves. Penelope takes on the task of socialising and teaching the children.

The Mysterious Howling is a great read. It felt like I was reading an old classic. It really does have an old-fashioned Enid Blyton-esque feel to it. I absolutely loved the main character Penelope. I adored how she wanted to educate and socialise the young children. Although I have a slight criticism- the children were socialised quickly without much depth, but that’s a minor niggle really. I’m certainly interested to see where this series goes. It certainly has a lot of potential!
on 3 March 2015
Read this recently having read some of the reviews. Its an interesting and enjoyable read but not as funny as I was expecting.
on 3 November 2015
Daughter of 9 loved it.
on 25 July 2011
*4.5 stars*

Utterly delicious, like a fabulous chocolate truffle. I haven't laughed so much over a book in a very long time!

I was a little uncertain at first about whether the extremely-knowing narrative voice might become a little grating over time - but I was totally wrong about that. A few chapters into the book, I was giggling uncontrollably. Then midway through, I had a sudden emotional clench when something scary happened - and I realized to my shock just HOW emotionally attached I had become to the adorably wolfy Incorrigibles along the way. I cared quite desperately about them and their welfare by the end, even as I continued to laugh at the wonderful humor.

My only very small complaint about the book is that I really wish there had been more resolution of at least one of the storylines at the end of this first book in the series...but that just makes me even more eager to read Book 2 (which is already out, hooray) straight away.
on 31 March 2016
My don didn't get on with this book unfortunately 😞
on 1 November 2014
V good. Excellent series.
Having graduated a year early from the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, fifteen-year-old Penelope Lumley is off to interview for a governess position at Ashton Place. After a rushed meeting with Lady Constance, Penelope is shocked to discover three dirty, wild-haired children howling in the stables.

Much to his bride of six month's consternation, Lord Ashton discovered the feral group while hunting the woods of his vast estate and decided to keep them. Now, Penelope must draw upon every ounce of ingenuity and skill at her disposal in order to civilize the incorrigible trio.

Successful teen author Maryrose Wood makes her middle-grade debut with a charming, lighthearted Victorian mystery featuring a heroine brimming with intelligent gumption and a supporting cast that is (respectively) endearing, humorous, fluttery, pompous, and downright vexing. By juxtaposing the historical circumstances and details with examples from contemporary life, Ms. Wood gives young readers easily identifiable touchstones for reference.

All in all, a winning combo that has me eagerly anticipating the next installment.

Reviewed by: Cat
on 4 April 2017
The incorrigible children of Ashton place is a fantastic book. I absolutely love it, and the other books in the series are also great. The book is funny, clever, interesting and was a definite page turner.

Penelope Lumley, a graduate of Swanburne academe for poor bright females, is employed at Ashton place as a governess. Her pupils are three children, with a strange and mysterious past, Cassiopeia Incorrigble, Beowulf Incorrigble and Alexander Incorrigble.

I would highly recommend this great book.
on 30 June 2011
My 10 year old daughter loved this book and I have to admit I had a read of it too. She compared it to a cross between the Series of Unfortunate Events books and a Nanny McPhee film. Nice opportunities in the book to improve your knowledge of some obscure and not so obscure words. She wants the second book now but will have to wait for it to come out in paperback!
on 15 December 2013
This is a great book old fashioned and modern at the same time. The characters are straight out of regency and mary poppins style stories but with a more modern humour, almost a commentary on these historical tales. would recommend to anyone, also the audio performances of these are fantastic