on 21 November 1998
This is one of the most wonderful and powerful books I have ever read. If you are looking for answers about the nature of God, what is prayer and how does it work, who was Jesus and what was he really trying to teach us and what is the key that unlocks the deeper meaning of the bible; this is the book to read. Mr. Fox is the most profound writer in that he is able to relate the most complex ideas in an easily understood way. His love and excitememt of the stories and events of the bible are evident as he brings this medium alive to the reader. Never boring, but most of all totally relevant to living in today's world. Any book by Emmet Fox is a feast for the soul. This one will change your perception about everything you've ever known about the bible, spirituality and God! You'll never be the same!
Emmet Fox wrote in the Christian Gnostic tradition but his inspiring words will benefit people from all traditions. Compiled from pamphlets, this book includes sermons and meditations on a wide array of subjects. The author's insights are revealed by his psychological interpretation of scriptural passages, for example his exegesis of the 91st Psalm in the chapter titled "The Secret Place" in which he proves that the psalmist knew about the individual's two minds: the conscious and the subconscious.

Like the other great 20th century metaphysicians such as Florence Scovel-Shinn, Joseph Murphy and Ernest Holmes, Fox had a remarkable gift for conveying ancient spiritual truth in language that everyone can understand. He covers issues like faith, scientific prayer, cosmic law, life after death, reincarnation and the practice of the presence of God in a most absorbing and engaging manner, identifying hidden meanings of biblical passages in the light of psychology.

My favorite chapters include (a) The Yoga Of Love, in which Fox confirms that there are many roads to the great goal but that the pathway of love is the shortest and the easiest (b) The Wonder Child, about the indwelling presence of God, and (c) The Lord's Prayer. Identifying the formula of this Jewish prayer, Fox shows why it is a perfect pattern for the development of the soul. In the 4th place, I found the meditation on Psalm 23, (d) The Good Shepherd, of great value.

Some chapters are introduced by quotes from the Bible and poems by amongst others Bulwer Lytton, George Meredith and Wordsworth. The book as a whole is deeply spiritual and highly inspiring while practical at the same time. Ideally it needs to be studied, not just read once, and will certainly contribute to making the reader's life more rewarding and fulfilling. Fox understood the wellsprings of life and how the individual might achieve a richer and happier life by choosing the right thoughts.

There are many other classics by the 19th & 20th century metaphysicians that intelligently explains the power of thought from various perspectives. This author's The Sermon on the Mount is highly recommended, as well as In Tune with the Infinite by Ralph Waldo Trine and The Hidden Power of the Bible by Ernest Holmes.
on 18 March 1999
I discovered emmet fox in 1974, and at the tender age of 22, he changed my life. Many times through the years, I've thanked God for that change. This I think is probably my favorite of his books. Prayer works, especially if you know what you're doing.
on 28 April 2012
I ordered this book and waited for it with great eagerness especially as it had all 5 star reviews.
So I thought I would post my own review just to balance things up a little.
I read through this book and though most of the chapters were ok.
However when it got to the Life after Death chapter it was quite frankly bizarre.
The Re-incarnation chapter was not a lot better.
After these two chapters I struggled through the rest of the book.

I would have given it 3 stars if it were not for those two chapters but feel it only deserves 2.
on 5 August 1998
Power Through Constructive Thinking offers a thoughtful interpretation of biblical passages for Christians and non-Christians alike. Written in an easy-to-understand style, Emmet Fox seeks neither to convert nor convince, only to help the reader deal with day to day problems and to deepen their own spirituality. I felt neither coerced nor dictated to, rather like I had been given tools with which to lead my life; I use this book as the basis for daily meditations. The strongest recommendation I can make is that I carried this book in my purse for several years, re-reading passages- and secondly that both Christian and non-Christian friends have read and been moved by this book.
on 22 April 2014
Having read page to page three times and still feel there is something missing. The analysis needs to be expanded to bring out the points that enable one to gain the power from constructive thinking. Maybe I need to learn chess first or Latin and then read the book again. The message from different parts of the bible needed more thought than I expected or planned to give time for and that would need to be more planned.
on 9 November 2013
I love Emmet Fox books, they have helped me very much. This is my second copy as my last one eventually fell apart from so much use. I highly recommend anyone on the spiritual path to read his books, worth their weight in gold!
on 27 October 2007
I have been left literally gobsmacked by this book. The author was clearly a deeply spiritually enlightened man, and this outlook cannot have anything but a positive effect on the book's readers. Despite the age of the book, everything within is as relevant to life today as ever before. He has a rare gift of being able to put into words the very complex nature of life, feelings, spirituality, and the great truth about our existence and our relationship with our maker.

The book just makes sense, I suspect this is because it speaks the Truth, and the truth is fundamentally right and good. If one speaks of universal laws about the nature of exitence on this earth, and about humanity, then they are bound to resonate. And they have certainly resonated in me.

If you are seeking a deeper understanding in God, a higher power, the power of the iniverse, love, (whathever you choose to call it), then I believe this book will help to deepen your understanding of what spirituality is as well as providing practical tips on how to 'demonstrate' the prescence of God in your daily actions, and lead a spiritual life.

The only regret I have is that I didn't buy the hardback version, as to assimilate the wonderful spiritual wisdom contained in this book will take many, many readings. I just can't recommend it enough.
on 14 October 2015
As soon as I had finished reading the first chapter entitled 'The Wonder Child', I knew I had discovered something very precious. I read the book from cover to cover and it has changed my life completely. The relationship between man and God is an eternal relationship and Emmet Fox reveals this profound truth in the most beautiful way. There is no argument, there is no debate, God is , was and will be and it is for man to at last realise this truth. I have read countless books after reading this one and they all support the wisdom presented by Emmet Fox. Within us is a power, a God given power and when we acknowledge this power we at once realise it is from God; it is love; it is truth. Although references are from the bible this book is not just for Christians as the truth within it transcends religions and all other forms of limitation, God is one, his power, knoweldge, might and love is for all nations and all time. When we confront all our limitations of thought we embark on a great battle for freedom where our goal is to see how God sees his creation and God is not limited. Thank you Emmet Fox for opening my mind to this truth.
on 28 December 2007
To me - Emmet's "Power Through Constructive Thinking" is the foundation stone of all his powerful, inspiring & motivational books.

This one outlines in detail & comprehensively the technique for turning your thought processes into power to achieve peace, prosperity, health & happiness.

The process is easy & logical as soon as you see it. He uses Bible tracts to expand his ideas & show that this is nothing new. Mental science & the power of the mind has been around & recognised for thousands of years. Some successful people take the idea for granted & may not even realise they're using this system.

Despite the books age & the period from which it came, Emmet writes clearly & with fluidity that makes you want to carry on & finish the next chapter.

If you can just hold his ideas in place, remember them (write them down if need be) & daily put them into practice, you'll see your success's grow from day to day, followed health, happiness, prosperity & peace. All of which is nothing more than we're all clambering for - isn't it?