on 2 October 2011
I can't recommend this book enough.
Anna Johnson is brilliant. Three Black Skirts was my guide during my twenties and now Savvy Chic has come along at just the right time as I begin to contemplate a not so affluent existence in London during my thirties. She has a million creative ideas, a wonderful sense of humour and paragraph after paragraph of good advice.
Unfortunately I purchased the Kindle edition so haven't been able to appreciate the lovely illustrations properly. I'm beginning to think buying the print edition too might be a savvy investment.
on 7 February 2013
when you read Anna Johnson's books you feel like you are hearing a great girlfriend who is generous enough not only to share her secrets but also her flaws. I remember when I discovered her other book "three black skirts" and in the beginning Anna said something like "let me warn you that I don't own three black skirts...only one and it's not ironed!". Anna believes we teach what we need to know, for me that makes sense because when you are finding your way most times you discover bright simple solutions. We (women) know that a skirt can save your day and that not having money can really harm your self-esteem. She talks about those things. It's not being shallow, not at all, is just that life is made of simple things, so it's good to have a safety net that anchors those little things that sometimes we lost control of. This book and the three black skirts are that net. Most of the advices I read here I knew already from my (wonderful) mother, but still it's lovely to read and re-read the book. Even if you are not thinking about vintage or how to plan a wonderful cheap meal but actually thinking about major life questions this book brings you back to the ordinary sweet life where everything happens. It's therapeutic. I love her writting and her honesty. I specially loved that in this book she shares her background, where she grow up and a little more of her story. Just read it and also give it to your best friend.

(NOTE: I'm sorry for any English mistake, it's not my main language)
on 13 April 2013
...perhaps, who do not have much life experience. I find Johnson a bit stuck in clichés, a bit stating the obvious. She is light-hearted, funny, like a girlfriend talking to a younger girlfriend about everything she has learned about being chic on a shoestring. Not for a mature reader who is looking for something a level above what you can get in your regular issue of Elle magazine.
on 2 January 2013
Love this book,much better than a lot of budget books.It is savvy chic if your idea of budgeting is getting quality for less,not wasting money buying cheap stuff just because it's cheap.Plenty of tips and ideas,a book you can go back to again and again.I like nice things and I like quality,but you can get these for less if you look round and use your resources more wisely.
on 12 December 2011
I first saw this book in a small boutique and after perusing it decided it would be an ideal present for my daughter. She is extremely interested in fashion and style and home, as well travel. She lives in Australia and her job involves (not selling) cosmetics in a department store so she has the opportunity to search out different items in all departments. I too would not mind having a copy of the book as I have similar interests.
on 16 October 2013
This is a beautiful book. I like the colours, the pictures,... As to the contents there is not so much new I learned after reading it but perhaps this means I am confronting economical hardship well myself...
on 24 March 2015
very satisfied with delievery and item :)