on 1 May 2017
If every woman took this advice we would all look like clones of each other . It has some good suggestions and it is very well written
on 25 April 2017
A little too Americancentric but still pretty good with some lovely illustrations
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 December 2011
I bought this on a whim as the kindle price was so good. I was very pleasantly surprised to find my self learning such things as why is a cocktail ring so called? It also isnt a preachy book, and clearly says that you need to work out which of these standard things works for you, dont expect to be told to buy them all and be sorted for life. A pleasant read, and nice to dip in to.
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 October 2008
As someone suggested, don't take this to the letter, rather take it for inspiration. I enjoyed the historical description of each item though some info is not really accurate (Bardot does not wear any shoes in the mambo scene of 'And God created woman', she's barefeet!). This makes me skip back to the same entry in the little black book of style when she states referring to ballet flats 'introduced in France by Repetto, an American company that specialized in dance wear'. American? Absolutely not!

I'd make the remark I did for the LBB of Style, some of these classics may not be your classics. Owning these 100 items will not make you more stylish if to start with they don't suit you or your lifestyle. Up to you to figure out.

Overall it's a nice read still with the fabulous illustrations from Ruben Toledo.
on 2 September 2009
I dithered over buying this book since its publication. What cinched my purchase was Nina Garcia on Project Runway - curiosity got the better of me. I just can't understand why anyone should need these many items to clutter up their lives but then I'm not a New York-based fashionista - just a lowly housewife living in an insignificant city nowhere very special.

That said, the book is enjoyable if only because it's such a departure from UK High Street fashion wherein every shop has it's own version of whatever "must-have" look they say is impossible to live without at the time. Read The One hundred and you'll come away detached, as I am, from believing that you really need what's of-the-moment in UK High Street fashion stores. Ditch fashion, learn about STYLE - and Nina Garcia is a good teacher. For that reason alone, every penny the book cost me was invaluable - to me, anyway. I'll leave you to make up your own mind.
on 10 October 2008
If approached in the right spirit, this book is both fun and inspiring. One should never treat these lists like diktats but rather suggestions. Garcia has a good eye, although some of her suggestions, i.e. the ll bean bag, seem better suited to an American audience. That said, it is a great way to think about fashion and one's closet. It inspired me to junk a few pieces and keep a few old favourites.

Great stuff for girls.
on 9 December 2013
Despite its lack of glossy photos the one hundred suggestions of what to have in your wardrobe is both helpful and informative. It makes you think about your own preferred key pieces and the Style you prefer and publicly project. In addition you learn the origin of iconic styles. I would have given this a higher rating if it had included a few expected photos along with the acceptably exquisite drawings.
on 18 July 2009
who is a buyer in the apparel business. Once she read it, she told me that she enjoyed it very much. The book described a lot of things that were new to her. Even for the things she was already familiar with, she told me that she really liked the way these were presented.
Overall, she was very enthusiastic and happy.
on 1 November 2014
OK, when we're talking about style, I'd expect classic trench coat, cashmere polo neck - stuff like that. NOT mad money (#52), quality champagne (#71) and valid passport (#91).
Also, I can't help thinking that counting bangles, charm bracelets, and cuffs as 3 separate items is as much of a cheat as counting old concert T-shirt, plain white tee, and striped sailor shirt also as separate items. And 4 separate items for push-up bra, lingerie, spanx, and underwear - really?
Personally, I think her recommendation for charm bracelets a bit odd - I think they're a little tragic on anyone over 30, especially when she's also recommending splashing £2500 on a Birkin bag (with a 2 year waiting list, btw).
Having said all that, it's an entertaining enough read, and the illustrations are kitsch and cute as anything. But serious fashion advice - not hardly.
on 22 July 2011
Nina Garcia reviews what she considers the 100 most important fashion items she thinks every woman should own. The book is very cute, in a silver color and with pink and black writing. Very stylish! The book has lots of pretty sketches and illustrations, which are chic and pretty. I do still miss some real photos!
It's a good reference book as Nina Garcia has a classic and timeless style and I agree with her that most of these items will be valuable in a wardobe. Even though spending or splurging on 100 items will be pretty expensive! I've had this book for a few years and I still pick it up now and then for reference.