Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2006
I read a lot and was just checking up on books to read for the spring/summer when I happened to see this bad customer review, one star(!), and a reader who seemed so bored, irritated and almost upset by the whole thing that I wondered why she gave it any stars at all.

Of course, we all have different tastes and a right to different opinions. But I cannot help wondering why this reader managed to finish the book at all. I mean, half way through should have been more than enough. When it so happens that I do not enjoy a book, I just put it away, finito, and that's it.

Phillip Margolin is one of my favourite writers and I read "Sleeping Beauty" the year it was published. Since it is a while ago, I do not recall every detail, but I remember reading it on holiday in Greece, and that I enjoyed it very much. I found it both well written and entertaining. Maybe I am not the most super intellectual reader (Kafka and such!!) -I like to enjoy the books I read, to be entertained. Not exactly fairytales, but stories for grown ups, if I may put it that way.

Some favourite authors are P.D. James, Anita Burgh, John Lescroart, Maeve Binchy, Rosamunde Pilcher, Robin Pilcher, Nicola Thorne, Margareth Yorke, Cathy Kelly, Ruth Rendell.

Fortunately, most books I buy I enjoy. But when a book fails to catch my attention, I give it to the local library in our small town.
I want to have a good time reading. If not, why bother?
This is only the third novel I've read by Phillip Margolin, and with each one I read his novels keep on getting even better. :-)
Phillip Margolin is a retired lawyer and he's been a full time writer since 1996.

From page one the author throws you into a fast moving story about Ashley Spencer, a seventeen year old who is a great football player. Ashley's best friend Tanya was staying over for the night. Whilst Ashley was sleeping she was woke by hear an odd noise and seeing movement in the bedroom they were both in. What comes next is horrific and poor Tanya's life becomes a living nightmare, she has to fit to stay to bring the person to justice for what they did to the people she loved and cared about.

I really don't want to say anything else about the story as it would spoil it for you.

Phillip Margolin definitely knows how to keep his readers glued to a book, I couldn't put this novel down, it's a fast moving and compulsive read, and with ever page you turn you yourself get that engaged in what's going on that you just don't want to stop reading.

The novel is well worth the money, if you like murder mysteries and thrillers then this book for you. I know you won't be disappointed with this novel; it's a book I'd enjoy reading again. :-)
on 29 June 2013
After reading the first few chapters of this book I realized I had read it before. None the less I continued to the end. The book is very well written and does leave you feeling like wow. Phillip Margolin is one of my favorites, Maybe that's the reason I read it twice. the book is good.
on 7 October 2016
Phillip Margolin does not disappoint and this novel proved the point. He is one of the master's of twists and turns that you do not see coming. A real page turner.
on 7 January 2008
The book opens with True crime writing attorney Miles Van Meter on a book tour. We see him as he slogs from town to town, promoting his book "Sleeping Beauty" which it the story of how serial killer Joshua Maxfield murdered Ashley Spencer's best friend and her parents, tried to kill his sister, leaving her in a coma and how he stalked Ashley, eventually getting caught as he tried to kill her.

Then we flash back to the crime as Miles reads from his book to a crowd in a bookstore. We see Ashley in bed as the killer breaks in, overpowers and binds her, then kills her friend who was sleeping over and her father. Fortunately he takes a break for a late night snack and Ashley's dad wasn't quite dead. He crawls into her room, frees her and she gets outta there. Also fortunately for Ashley's mother, she was away.

Ashley cannot go back to school, she is traumatized, but she is accepted into a private academy. Tess, Ashley's reporter mother is flattered when famous novelist, Joshua Maxfield, who is one of the teachers at the academy, asks her to join his writers group. At the first meeting of the group, Maxfield reads from a work in progress. It's a story about a serial killer who in the middle of his kills, takes a break for a snack. This is uncanningly like what happened when her husband had been killed and it is something only the police know. Tess investigates like the good reporter she is and she is killed.

The cops put extra protection on Ashley and they are killed and again she barely gets away with her life. She can't take it anymore and flees to Europe where she goes into hiding.

However, she comes back at the request of her attorney, who tells her that she'd been adopted and that she's an heiress, soon to be worth millions if that woman in a coma dies, because she's her biological mother. Ashley, it turns out, has been adopted.

And I'll leave it here, however I'd be remiss if I were to let you think that Ashley's troubles are over, they're just beginning in this book that has more twists and turns than there are stars in the sky. Well, not that many twists, but a lot, I was fooled, then fooled again. The red herrings were perfect, the characters believable and Mr. Margolin, as usual, has written just an outstanding mystery/thriller. I just loved it.

Review Submitted by Captain Katie Osborne
on 14 August 2013
I have read many books by Margolin and this ranks as second bottom.

I guessed the ending. Too predictable. Am struggling to see the need to write 450+ pages for what is essentially a one dimensional mystery. The cast of charactes is so limited that the identity of the murderer is in reality glaringly obvious.

Further, the manner in which the book has been written differs from the usual Margolin style. This is much more difficult to read than other books by Margolin that I have read.

Not a book I would recommend - even for die hard Margolin fans.
on 5 July 2012
along with baldacci margolin is the best once you have read a margolin book you will NEVER read a Grisham book again