on 15 June 2013
The third book in the Rain Wilds Chronicles and twelfth overall in Robin Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings series feels shorter and much more character focussed than most of the earlier books.

Rather than following a quest, as many of the other books in the series have, this book follows the daily lives of the characters from the previous two novels as they continue from the point these books brought them. It makes some interesting points about prejudice, society and childrearing, and the ensemble cast makes the drama feel more real and rounded than ever before.

The plot feels simple despite the array of threads that run through the book, and for the most part each is split into its own chapters, although there are some where the narratives are intertwined, which is a nice variation. I really love the asides between chapters that Hobb uses to expand the world in which her stories are set, and they provide a humorous and interesting companion to the main story.

While it felt a calmer story, I was really hooked by this book and can't believe how quickly I read it compared to some of Hobb's other books. I really enjoy spending time with these characters and hope that Hobb will find more stories to pen once this one is complete.
I can't put my finger on why this book didn't quite grip me as much as the others in the series or the other books by Robin Hobb that I have read. Maybe its my fault I was expecting that this would be the last of this series and it could be that I am a little disappointed that it isn't, it certainly came as a shock when I rad out of book (Kindle version). However avoiding my pre-conceptions that it was the last the book continues through the lives of our dragons and their keepers with some new and intersting plot twists and a few suprises, on the whole a very enjoyable book and I am looking forward to the next. If you have the rest of the series you'd be silly not ot buy this one, if you are a fan of well written fantasy then I recommend Robin Hobb to you as a very captivating author, as any authour who has that gift of making you want to read just one more page before you put the light out is special and this one has caused me more than a few late nights..... I'll just read to the end of the chapter :)
on 12 January 2014
It is always apparent when a successful author takes the decision to screw the fans for every cent they can. The books become shorter, there is less imagery and detail and the book prices rise. This book and series pales in comparison to earlier works. This book is the third in the series and is shorter than earlier works, it ends without any conclusion to the story lines "forcing" fans to pay for book 4 which the author has conveniently priced at double any previous book. I for one will decline purchasing further books especially overpriced ebooks. I will wait for a cheap second hand hard copy on eBay. What a sad way to treat fans and writing talent.
on 9 April 2017
Really enjoying this, what a wide variety of thoughts and story lines. I can often anticipate the next story but not with these. Need the next book now, lol
on 19 May 2017
The third book in this series. A large cast of characters that are all well written and brought to life. Can't wait to read the next in the series. An excellent read.
on 18 April 2017
Love all Robin Hobb books - her characters are so real
on 14 June 2015
Another great series from Hobb. If you've enjoyed "The Farseer" or "Liveship Traders" trilogies, you will love "The Rain Wild Chronicles".
Fantasy, dragons, liveships, adventure, struggle, romance.... and a whole lot more, can be found in these books. If that's your "cup of tea", don't hesitate!
on 5 April 2017
hubby loved it
on 4 March 2017
No problems eagerly received
on 29 March 2013
What a series of books that just keep you engrossed and wanting more when youve finished. If you like to loose yourself here is an author that shows where to go in an instant!