on 29 December 2013
Plain English that touches so many facets of ones life and paves way for further steps towards a more balanced life
on 5 August 2014
I wish I had read this book years ago. It is the perfect guide to a spiritual life. I could not put the book down.!
on 6 October 2013
This book is brilliant I did not want to put it down, well worth the read whether you are religious or not.
on 13 August 2010
James Martin has written a book that, while being very easy to read, gives a deep insight into Jesuit Spirituality and profound guide lines for any one wanting to live a more meaningful life, whether they are religious or not.
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 August 2015
As I belong to a group who follow the spiritual exercises of st Ignatius I found it helpful. As I have not being doing long. The English Jesuits have a web site called pray as you go Which is also helpful to people instead in st Ignatius.
on 8 February 2017
Fantastically written, what more can I say! A must read for those looking to explore a more personal relationship with their faith and the role of mindful prayer.
on 14 March 2013
This book speaks of relatively heavy theology in a simple and enlightening way a child can easily understand. I like these kinds of books that rob the so-called `theological expert' from talking through his hat as if he knows something the rest of us don't know.

In its quest to define deity, surprisingly, it is equally satisfying to both atheists and believers -unique in a partisan world which really does not want to consider those who may view the real world they live in and the supernatural world they dream of through different lens. Kind of reminds me of the best seller biography Murder by the Grace of God: The CIA and Pope John Paul I.

At the age of eleven, Albino Luciani (John Paul I) told his father who had placed him in a minor seminary, "I want to be a Jesuit." His atheist father, who intended his son bring change to the Church, knowing the boy could only rise to the papacy through the mainstream, talked him out of it.

I recall the newspapers when he was elected: "A champion of social justice, Cardinal Luciani's election is a signal to the world that the Church is steering a course from doctrinal conservatives who feel the Church is changing too fast toward progressives who say it is advancing too slowly."

There is a touch of this kind of thinking in this book. Yet, the shortfall is its audience is largely limited to Jesuits and the clergy. As the old adage says, `preaching to the choir doesn't grow the herd.' The sad part, few atheists will pick up this book. Yet, there lies its greatest worth.

I recommend the hardcover for your permanent library.
on 7 March 2015
Immensely readable, full of common sense and good humour I feel all the better for having read this book and will be dipping into it again.
on 18 June 2016
An excellent overview of the Jesuits with ideas of how to incorporate their ways into a secular life style
on 15 June 2015
Very readable and helpful introduction to a traditional Christian spirituality relevant to us all.