A book to make all the fans of Terry salivate at the thought of being reminded of their favourite books and quotes for as well all know, Terry fills each of his novels with classic lines that keep us all laughing. However that said it's a compendium of his best lines and if you already own all his books may not be something that you want to pay out for.

Its fun, with some nice touches such as a book mark with that old novel feel to it and is something that will be placed amongst all his other works, but on the whole it could be seen as a bit of a cash in by Terry's fans. However it might be worth considering though if you're trying to find a way to introduce someone to Terry's books and will make an ideal Christmas present for that ultimate fan.
on 27 December 2007
Leave this book in the smallest room of the house for when you have a minute or two to contemplate the deeper things in life. There is one slight drawback, I lost a house guest for half an hour as they were busy reading and lost track of time!
on 11 April 2009
The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld (Doubleday, 2007), compiled by Stephen Briggs, includes Briggs' favorite quotations from Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. Of course, it can't include them all. To accomplish that, as Briggs said, "I might as well have tied a set of the novels up with string and added a tag: 'The Complete Wit of Pratchett'."

He re-read every book in the Discworld series; since some gags and funny exchanges need too long a build-up, that eliminated a lot. In some cases he had to edit to convey the context. The quotes are included book by book--in order of publication. (Each book gets its own chapter; some are shorter than others.) And there is an index. I really enjoyed this book since it reminded me of my favorite lines and books. 'Course now I'm re-reading the books because it's true that he couldn't include all the clever and fun word play and scenes. He didn't include the bull run scene in Witches Abroad (my favorite Discworld book), for instance, which is one of my favorite scenes--nor the Greebo scenes.
on 25 October 2007
This is what it says it is, a compilation of wit from the discworld books. I disagree with the comment that if you have the books that this is a waste of money. I have them all and regularly re-read them, but I still loved this book. It's not one to sit down with and read through, it's more for dipping into when you need a smile. In fact it may be better if you have read the books, as then you can remember the whole scenario of the quote. Buy the book, leave it nearby, and flick through when passing it, it can brighten any day.
on 28 September 2007
Just today received. After starting to scan thru and ending up reading for several hours!
I love it. Brings to mind great characters and precious moments of each of the books.
Quotes are presented in chapters based on and named for the novel from which them come.
Paper edge is rough-cut to add to the antique look of the dust jacket.
Over-all, Very Nice!!!!!
on 25 November 2013
I love Terry Pratchett. His Discworld books are so well developed and his characters all have such human flaws that you can identify with, and like - even the trolls!

I have read every Discworld novel so far written and I certainly have my favourites. The wit and wisdom contained within each novel is part of its unique charm. I appreciate what a mammoth task Stephen Briggs undertook in compiling this companion. Almost every page in the actual books contains a wry bon mot, a sly dig at the base greed and venality of the society that we, the readers, inhabit. To try to extrapolate those motes of magic would certainly be beyond me. I just recommend the books to family and friends with the passionate avowal that they will enjoy their experience!

However, I am very disappointed with this offering. I purchased this book via my kindle and whether the actual paper version is the same I cannot tell. But my online copy is riddled with typos! On almost every page there is a misprint and error. I was so shocked! One or two I can forgive (but I don't even like that many!), But page after page with so many errors! Unacceptable. This has reduced my pleasure in reading the witticisms of such a clever and gifted author.

Don't buy this companion. Get the original books and enjoy them in their entirety. You will be far more satisfied.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 February 2008
... and that's what this book is meant to be - just something Pratchett be dipped in and out of. When you're looking for a bit of relief from the stresses of life but don't have the time to read a full Pratchett chapter then this is for you.

It's old look cover is a great disguise for a sneaky look at work. Even though most of my favourite lines aren't in it this is still a book that is a lot of fun, and it's nice to see someone elses view of the best bits.
on 13 October 2007
I disagree with Mr P Bolt. I started like Mr Briggs with Mort, then read Night Watch, then went back to Guards! Guards!. It doesn't really matter where you start off at all. But I digress.

I've always loved the idea of a book you can just pick up and laugh at, and this is that book. It's superb, whether you've read them, and especially if you haven't. I've re-read the best lines, and keep looking through it. There's always one bit that you missed :D.
on 12 November 2014
An hilarious collection to have in the loo, or in a guest room or even in the car for when you breakdown. This will make you smile, laugh out loud and definitely entertain you. This is just excerpts from a huge range of different books but it just made me want to go read the whole series again! Great value too.
on 18 February 2014
Quirky book I bought as a birthday present for my boyfriend, he loves it and I loved having a little skim read of it before wrapping it for him, it's something to pick up now and then and have a bit of a chuckle at.