• Slash

Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 May 2010
With 60 other reviews here, I doubt anyone will wade through them to read this, but if you have, then it's appreciated.
Why I took the time to write this is because the 'Slash' is one of the best rock 'n' roll books you will ever read. And if you've got a 'must-read' list of books for your life, then this one should be added.
And it's not one of those large type 'quick-reads,' this type is quite small but comfortable on the eye nevertheless, and will give you your money's worth.
As others have mentioned, Slash is brutally honest with his story, and this is commendable, even though he's lucky to have survived the perils of heroin and booze addiction.
No one is ever truly clean of any addiction, it niggles away from time to time year's later, but I hope Perla, London, and Cash keep Slash on the right track; he's got a good few years, and albums in him yet; and the grandaddy years will suit him.
on 13 January 2011
Being a big G'n'R fan, the autobiography of Slash was a book I could not miss.

It is an engrossing book which does not gloss over or skimp on any area of his life. He covers the good stuff and bad stuff in equal measure, uses superb anecdotes to give you a picture of the man and frequently states his honest opinions for the benefit of the reader. Considering the sheer quantity of alcohol and drugs he has consumed, I am amazed that he is still alive and playing.

However, after finishing the book, I found myself unable to decide what I thought about Slash. There were too many contradictions and double standards in his life which I found hard to swallow. Most of these revolve around his criticism of others who have various addiction problems and their percieved lack of professionalism. If anyone put in less than 100% effort at a gig or in the recording studio, Slash is very critical of them. Yet he himself is guilty of some of the worst excesses and worst behaviour, he goes to great lengths to justify and assure us that he never compromised the band.

His comments about Axl and the demise of GnR are probably the bits most people will want to read. Suffice to say he gives a fairly frank view of this and you can't help but agree with him on most of it. Much of what said paints Axl in a bad light and you wonder how the band held together as long as it did. I hope one day Axl explains his side of the story.
on 27 June 2014
I've been a fan of Slash ever since i was a kid and saw him on the video for November Rain. I remember this being one of my first introductions to the guitar as an instrument rather than the background of a song, as well as my first insight into rock music. I was astounded! It gave me goosebumps, what this strange hairy man in a top hat could do with six strings and ever since that day i have been a fan. This book allows you to get inside the head of a genuine rock God and discover that he is human too. An honest account of the bad and good side of Slash's life an career from childhood to Velvet Revolver you see a man who changes and develops while still staying true to who he is and what he loves. Slash comes across as extremely hard-working, dedicated and humble even when he was doped to the eyes on heroin or playing to 180,000 screaming fans and it's this quality that actually makes who he is and what he has accomplished all the more admirable. Well written, without exaggeration for effect and 'reviews/ratings' this book captured my interest from the first page to the last and if possible made me a bigger fan than when my little ears first heard that guitar solo all those years ago. Thoroughly recommended for fans of Slash, GN'R or rock music in general!
on 7 January 2009
I had to physically fight myself to put the book down to go to work, even though I would have happily sat on the London tube reading until I was finished!

I've always appreciated what a legend Slash is and was quite partial to a bit of 'Sweet Child', but having grown up mostly in the 90s, I never had the privilege of experiencing the rock n roll era and really knowing much about it. I've always just listened to whatever my friends were into and until I read this book I never really took the time to appreciate music for what it is. I consider my younger days to be musically deprived! Now when I listen to music, I really LISTEN.

In this book, Slash's story is objective and brutally honest without being slightly arrogant or dramatic. You can imagine it to be completely sensationalised, but the fact is, Slash tells it how it is and was, doesn't try to impress and takes on full responsibility for his actions. It is most definitely excessive but ultimately believable by the fact that you can almost hear his voice when you read.

This is possibly one of the best books I've ever read and would recommend this to anyone who can read!
Be warned though, I've been obsessed with Slash and GnR ever since. And I've had to obtain all their albums, a load of Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC, Aerosmith and any other 70s-80s rock I could get my hands on!

N.B. NOT recommended if you have a boyfriend who gets jealous easily... :-/
on 8 February 2016
I loved this book and really want a follow up to it;)
You get to flowing Slash through the highs and lows without it being a bragging look at me kind of book.
He is brutally honest about his drug use and drinking that helps you see that he is still on the level.
Very hard working and extremely talented guitar player.
on 14 November 2007
I've been waiting for this book for ages, and the moment it was delivered, i ripped the book out of its packaging and started to read it straight away. I have been a huge fan of Slash & Guns N Roses since they burst on an unsuspecting world and grabbed us all by the balls!!! The well documented tales of sex drugs and rock & roll were obviously well noted by us all. But this book, is truthful, telling it how it was/is, but most of all, it's Slash just speaking from his heart. (that's how I've taken it, anyway). Slash recalls his earliest memories, both good & not-so-good. The thing i loved about this book, is that Slash always takes full responsibility for his actions, always has. He has come through a lot and frankly, is extremly lucky to be here to tell the tale.
And what a tale it is. It is shocking, interesting, and damn right hilarious in places. I read this book in two days!!! I simply couldn't put it down. I just HAD to finish it. Compulsive reading, definately.
WHETHER YOU LIKE GUNS N ROSES OR NOT.....THIS IS A MUST READ FOR EVERYONE!
VINE VOICEon 3 December 2008
I was never quite of the Guns'N'Roses era - I was a tiny bit too late for that. However, "Welcome to the Jungle" is constantly on the playlist on my iPod along with other tracks. Slash was the lead guitarist from nearly the start of the Guns'N'Roses story and is an immediately recognisable figure due to his trademark top hat and big hair.

His autobiography (assisted byAnthony Bozza) is Slash's own attempt to tell his story. He tells it in a manner that is open and honest. He rarely apologies or attempts to conceal his actions. He simply tells it as he saw it. He begins with his childhood and family life and descibes his initial encounter with a guitar. However from there on in, there is very little mention of music in the book (in a technical sense that is). The book is more about Slash than about his music. His alcohol and drug-related excesses are presented as is his struggle to eventually become clean and be a father to his two sons.

Fans of Guns'N'Roses will love the descriptions of the band's rise to success and manic tour adventures. The tension between Axl and Slash is described, with long-reaching roots to early days. Slash often refuses to say anything truly bad about his former band member and this is to his credit.

Slash is famous for his open character and honesty, and that shines through in this book. His love for the music and respect for the fans is evident. This is the real story of how it all went down.
on 23 November 2007
I am a huge fan of Slash and have been now for the best part of half my life. I have follwed him through his G n' R days to Snakepit and finally Velvet Revolver.

Unlike so called other 'Rock Stars' who have only a fraction of his talent, I have always liked Slash due to his easy going nature and down to earth personality which doesn't appear to have changed one bit despite the fame. He is also very respectful of the fans and never forgets who put him where he is.

Slash leaves nothing out and includes all the things that any self respecting Rock God would enjoy including sex, drugs, booze and of course the great music. He also goes into explicit detail on his self destructive streak that appears regularly throughout the book.

Slash is at times brutally honest in this book to the point where you keep saying to yourself 'did that really happen' but I guess he wants to set the record straight. He certainly wants people to stop asking him when GnR will get back together again. After reading this you will think not a chance in hell...

All in all a very enjoyable read which I got through in a few days.
on 24 October 2014
Not quite what I was expecting..! This is a brutally honest (too honest?) autobiography with non stop tales of drink, drugs, sex, band break ups, etc. on almost every page. The stories of addiction are hopefully enough to put anyone off hard drugs and I was surprised to find out that he was quite as bad an addict as he now depicts himself.

I think Slash tries too hard here to excuse some/all of his past behaviour and failings and is to singular in his focus on his career. Having said that this is often a characteristic of some of the great entertainers who can only succeed because of these character flaws.

Approach this book with caution as it was not exactly entertaining. More shocking at times. Useful insights into his background, history, GNR and VR.
on 14 April 2016
I really wanted to like this book, I'm a huge fan, but I finished it thinking that it was a massive missed opportunity. The ghost writer and editor must take most of the blame; there are many basic mistakes, such as stories that are dropped midway through, and utterly unnecessary details about relative trivia - I'm pretty sure nobody really cares about the chain of three people leading to an introduction to a musician who auditioned and then didn't end up getting the gig, or what houses he looked at when searching for a place to buy.
Slash's alcoholism and drug addictions were not dealt with at all well. You can get away with a rip roaring, unapologetic account of utter debauchery, or you can give a heartfelt account of your personal struggle as Anthony Kiedis did in Scar Tissue; but this book isn't sure which it wants to try for, and the result is a long chain of pretty lame sounding gratuitous acting out (smashing the headlights on all the rental vans for no apparent reason, wha?) and totally pointless s*** including copious drunk driving. Stories like how he injected drugs into a friend who overdosed and died, but then claims it must have been because of something someone else gave him, really make it difficult to see anything more than the utter banality and ugliness of hardcore drug addiction. This wouldn't be a problem in an autobiography if the writer seemed to be aware of it, but he really doesn't seem to be.
The most disappointing part is the utter lack of any interesting in depth account of his development as a musician and the creative process behind the GnR songs. I've read lots of autobiographies by musicians, and all the books by the members of The Doors give a fantastic account of their evolution as artists and the creative dynamic within the band, that this book leaves me thinking that maybe Slash was just so strung out he doesn't remember any of that in enough detail to put in the book.