on 31 July 2016
I really do think that this book is incredible. It essentially explains the thought process and rationale of both men and women alongside each other, and enables you to compare and contrast in a uniquely charming way using story-telling and different scenarios, some being "out of this world"! I would really recommend it as a book to read with a partner or alone, as it can improve relationships not only at home, but with work colleagues and acquaintances as well.

There are several chapters in the book about different "areas" of trouble, and through it offers advice as to the difference in how men and women express themselves and the differences in the meaning of their words. After reading this book, I found that there is a lot that goes on in the way we communicate than I had ever realised! Difficulties in my communication with others became much more understandable having read this book. It goes with the basic gist that men are looking to offer solutions to problems that women bring up in conversation, whereas women are looking for empathy and understanding. A lot of communication issues, I believe, can be solved by remembering this basic trend!

Some may argue that it could be a bit of old-fashioned stereotyping nowadays, especially as it was originally published over two decades ago! I still believe that it is very much worth a read and there are still a lot of similarities between how this book describes many common situations and how society works today. For anyone who has ever claimed that either men/women are difficult to understand, this book is definitely worth a read!
11 people found this helpful
on 11 February 2018
The author shares many interesting theories on how men and women operate differently in relationships, and how they are different in their way of thinking and understanding of the world. I found some of the theories more relatable than others, but I guess that's the reality of human condition. We are not all the same, nor do we share the same experiences. None the less, I thought the book was useful in instilling the idea that men and women are different, and may not react the say way in a given circumstance. So when you feel the opposite sex is not understanding you, its perhaps because you're not speaking their language. Lastly, there are 307 pages in this book, I think there's room for a concise and updated version within 200 pages.
2 people found this helpful
on 11 June 2018
This is an interesting book in terms of understanding how many people saw the minds of men and women 26 years ago. It presents very dated views and opinions and makes statements that would be highly challenged these days for their sexist generalisations, for instance 'men, don't expect women to be rational and logical. They are not.' and 'women, when a man has a problem to solve, leave him alone to work it out. Do something you enjoy instead, like go shopping. Women love shopping'. And 'women love to be told what to do. It makes them feel loved and cared for. Men hate being told what to do as they feel untrusted.' All very funny. With views and advice such as this, no wonder divorce rate is so high.

The author often spends a lot of pages emphasising a small point that could be explained in a couple of sentences so it is slow, waffly and boring in many places. You can miss out large chunks of the book and still get a full understanding.

I did wonder whether the book was a way of having a go at his wife behind a disguise of a book.

A good point is that it is amusing to think that people really thought this 26 years ago.
on 12 March 2018
Interesting but obviously written by a man and the reason it does not get more stars from me is that I almost sense that the author is trying to get us all to see things from the male point of view.
3 people found this helpful
on 15 August 2015
I have a male friend who had read this & kept quoting bits at me so I thought I'd read it so I could quote it back to him. It's an interesting read but very repetitive & a lot of it is information you probably already know. It also gives very definite distinctions between males & females in an almost stereotypical way which I didn't think applied in reality. I think the majority of men & women are a mixture of male & female attributes rather than being completely one or the other. Having said all that it's worth a read - My copy was only £2.99 so you're not spending a lot & I did pick up a few tips on how to get my man to put out the rubbish..!!!
on 22 July 2015
Am working my way through this book as I desperately need an insight into why men are so selfish. It just confirms they are really really selfish and so far all I've garnered is you have to put up and shut up or remain single, cause I'm sure the man in my life certainly isn't going to read it and if he isn't at least going to meet me a quarter of the way, never mind half way, this relationship will go down the drain like all the rest.
on 24 December 2017
Excellent. Read it if you're a man Read if you're a woman. Read it before you start relationships with the opposite sex. It's an informative and well written.
on 5 October 2017
Great book, but I feel that something which is explained is then explained over and over again, using more and more examples, but saying still the same thing.
on 13 November 2015
This book is great! It's for both genders, it's equally written about men and women and their flaws. It helps you understand the opposite sex and how you can work on accepting how the opposite gender works in order to work past them. I'm single but I still love it, I understand how it could be more useful for those in relationships but I'll just keep it for a quick reread when the time comes! Until then I'll be letting all my friends borrow it, even my mum wants to read it. It's a really good insight to how men work, and I couldn't agree more with the information the book has on how women work! Especially chapter two. I read a chapter each night :)
on 4 March 2018
It is a great book and this is the second time I'm starting it. This is not the books fault because it is a fantastic book, I'm unfortunately a bad reader. However, I got the audio too this time to make sure I'll finish it.