on 5 June 2017
I feel so lucky to have come across this book - it's been life changing already, in that I keep returning to it and getting something different every time I read it - inspiration, comfort, new ideas about death. And I suspect there is more to come. I always want a copy of it at my side whenever I need some food for thought, or reassurance, or something positive to focus on. It complements my shiatsu study (as shiatsu is based on taoism) but I would have appreciated this as a must-read regardless. I haven't read other interpretations so cannot compare, but certainly the language in this book is fine for me and the pictures are beautiful. It's nice having some visual distractions. Bought another as a present for a friend and suspect I'll be giving more copies...
on 7 January 2017
This translation was recommended by Eckart Tolle in one of his talks as being one of two he feels captures the original thoughts/images behind the words. (Sorry can't remember the other translator). Book is small (smaller than a normal paperback) but with some colour illustrations as well.
on 2 April 2017
Beautiful book, full of wisdom (as you'd expect!) and beautiful illustrations. This is quite a straight forward translation and is easy to understand - not as cryptic as I thought it may be, which isn't a criticism at all.
on 11 April 2017
The Hardcover was never opened. usually when you open a book it opens 180 degrees. This hardcover only allowed for 30 degree opening. Besides this, the cover, illustrations and the translation was super. 5 star book other than the hardcover.
on 13 July 2017
This is an amazing book; it was introduced to me by a tutor I had at a course a few months ago and I have to say that the paragraphs are full of wisdom and insight and I keep it with me all the time and read a few paragraphs when I have a few spare moments. It always seems to have a calming effect.
on 14 March 2017
Unbelievable, ancient wisdom in all its glory.
on 1 August 2015
Absolutely fantastic book
on 12 April 2008
The Tao has always been one of my favourites. Never to be flipped through like a novel but a page at a time and some inner contemplation. A quiet place indoors or outdoors with a bit of sunshine and nature at your feet [no motorway sounds]. I, like some other purchasers, have given this book to many as a gift and some of these in turn have imitated and passed on the gift therein. I like this flowing translation and have read a couple of others - some of whom like to stick closer to the literal translation. The deviation from the literal to this edition is carried out with the hand and mind of a master who exhibits a true understanding of the way.

I always wanted a hardcover copy of this book and purchased this one. Sorry but I do have one problem with this and that is - the paper quality and the book binding does let it down but - hey if this is the only criticism I have then yippee. If you think about it maybe printing onto recycled paper is the ONLY way to go with this masterpiece! Enjoy over and over and over and drive yourself crazy when you mislay your copy or lose friends by lending and not getting it back ! If they are indeed a true friend buy them their own copy ! They'll love you forever !

Highly recommended !
on 8 May 2016
This is a very good translation; the language is 'colourful' and poetic reminiscent of the Victorian English of Charles Dickens. Amazon does not say who the actual translator is, I imagine it could be Paul Carus, or at least strongly based on his version, which has been very popular with Taoist scholars for many decades. This Kindle version shows that a 'Free Audio book' version is also available, though it does not mention who the reader is; I tried unsuccessfully to download this. However, fortunately I was able to purchase a word-for-word audio MP3 version by Emma Topping from the amazon.co.uk Digital Music store for only 99p ... this is very good, Emma Topping has a very pleasant voice and is an excellent reader. I am very happy with this Kindle version, especially as I have quick reference to Kindle's dictionary facility for those 'lesser-used' words that appear here and there in the book. The book and MP3 are excellent value at very nice price.
review image
on 20 February 2017
Full of wisdom, a must read. I wanted a smaller version of the Tao Te Ching translated by Stephen Mitchell so I could carry the book around all the time in my bag. This is just what this book is: it has kept the layout of the hardback alongside the lovely illustrations but in a smaller version. I would highly recommend if you like reading the Tao's widsom at random times during the day as this book is so easy to carry around.