Format: Hardcover|Change

Laura Joffe Numeroff and Felicia Bond have teamed up on several children's stories. Many people will tell you that this is their favorite in the series. I slightly prefer When You Give a Moose a Muffin, but you'll have to decide for yourself by reading them both.
Having had two sons, I always found them most delightful when they were the most physically worn out. Oh, if only I had had this mouse to keep them occupied!
The boy is sitting in his front yard eating a cookie. He spies a mouse, and gives the mouse a little bite.
This is a forward mouse, though, and he asks if he might have a glass of milk to go with the cookie. The boy takes him inside and obliges. Then the mouse inquires about having a straw. The boy finds him one. Then the mouse requests a napkin. That means that he is concerned about having a milk mustache. So the mouse wants a mirror to check. While looking in the mirror, he notices that his whiskers need some trimming. He requests some nail scissors from the boy. Considerately, he then wants a broom to sweep up. But if you're going to sweep in one area, you might as well do many. While you're at it, the floors could use a good washing. That makes the mouse tired, so he needs a nap. The boy makes him a little bed out of a box and a tiny blanket and pillow. But the mouse cannot sleep without a story. Seeing the pictures, the mouse thinks what fun it would be to make some pictures. Paper and crayons must be obtained! After the picture is done, he must naturally have a pen to sign his name. Then, the boy has to get some Scotch tape so that the picture can go on the refrigerator. Then, of course, you get thirsty from all that activity. You get some milk from the refrigerator . . . and of course, it's a good idea to have a cookie. And off we go again!!
The contrast between the increasingly exhausted looking boy, and the sprightly mouse make for much good humor. Also, the boy is better at getting things for the mouse than putting them away, so the house is soon filled with messy piles of what the mouse wanted . . . sort of mouse droppings as it were.
The absurdity of a tiny mouse running a boy ragged is quite hilarious to youngsters. By reading the book faster and faster, you can add a note of semi-hysteria that increases the fun.
The words are easy to follow, and closely track the illustrations. Children can easily begin to memorize the story, decode the words, fill in the blanks, and later begin to read aloud to you (first from memory, and later in reality).
The book is beautifully illustrated in a semi-Dr. Seuss style by Felicia Bond that adds much to the enjoyment.
One thing I like about the story is that it gets into how one thing can lead to another. That's one of the best ways to stimulate intelligence and imaginative thinking. It is also good for problem solving later in life. Now, where did all these mouse whisker shavings come from? What caused them?
After you have had fun with this story as written, you might want to have a little more fun with your child or grandchild and occasionally change one of the words. For example, when the mouse wants a napkin, you might substitute "diaper" for a young child. I guarantee gales of laughter with that one!
Have fun from beginning to end, and through the repeating refrain, for ever and ever!
on 5 December 2014
I bought this for my 6 year old niece as my son had it when he was little and he loved it.
We had a paperback but this hardback is lovely although a longer story than I remember. She'll love the little stickers at the back so all in all, a great little book for those learning to read (suitable for boys and girls).
My granddaughter, 6, and I watched this film together. It is only 11 minutes and some seconds long, but it is packed with goodness. If you have read the books, you will love this film. The mouse and Olivernd all the friends come alive.

Oliver and mouse were reading about Goldilocks and the three bears when mouse got hungry. He and Okiver went to the kitchen to get mouse some milk and Oliver some app,esauce. They discovered that the applesauce was gone, and tbeyvstarted to make a list of what they would need to get at the store. On their way, they stopped and asked what their mneighbors might need. Soon their list was very long, and they needed a wagon. What a lovely film this is, good lessons for young and old. Funny experiences on the way to and in the store. O,iver mouse and their friends are all fun and nice characters. Children will like this film as much as my granddaughter did.

Recommended. prisrob 11-16-15
on 19 February 1999
Laura Joffe Numeroff is an excellent children's author! My daughter and I have read this book so many times, she can recite word for word throughout the story. The cassette tape that comes along with the story book is excellent, because after the story is read, there is a fill-in-the-blanks game. Your child fills in the blank. (example - "If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of _____.) The answer is milk. And this continues throughout the story. I highly recommend this book. No child's library should be without it!
on 23 April 1999
My daughter and I just love to read this book together. We turn each page with anticipation,(even though we have read it hundreds of times, and know the story by heart). This book is a great read along! I would recommend that all children have a copy of this fun book. It's my personal favorite.
on 30 May 2012
Lovely story - but the book is way too small! - Only approx.13x11cm - I had expected it to be much bigger. The group of kids that I teach fight too much to see the pictures so I don't use this book in the nursery any more. Only practical to show one child up close.
on 30 May 2012
I'm a semi-retired teacher who is now working as a substitute. I'm actually certified for first through sixth grade, bilingual (I live on the Mexican border)but as a substitute I will go anywhere I'm asked to go. I see this book a lot when I work with the younger ones, and I've often read this story to them.

The story is whimsical, funny -- perhaps to the point of silliness -- and of course, couldn't "really happen." But somehow, it's believable.

The illustrations are completely appropriate, and only add to its humor.

As a philosophy enthusiast, I have a love-hate relationship with cause and effect--but this book takes an inverted view of it and shows how much cause and effect can be both proven and disproven -- or better yet, UNproven. When I read this book to the students, I often have them draw a picture from the story, and that's as much fun as the book itself.

Get this book for your children and/or grandchildren. And I can predict with a fairly high amount of accuracy that you will enjoy it as much as they do.
on 25 March 2015
Interesting book that I never read as a child. My 3 year old enjoyed it and it has become a part of her story book collection
on 23 November 2015
A good chain of events sort of story, but none of kids enjoyed it, I don't know why..
on 4 December 1998
I know this book says it's for the 3-5 year reading level, but my 20-month-old loves it. He calls it the "Mouse Cookie Book", and we originally borrowed it from the library but then had to buy one (from Amazon, of course - 4 bucks cheaper than any bookstore I have found, incidentally) to keep library overdue fines down! He wants to have this book read to him as soon as he wakes up in the morning, after his nap, before bed -- all the time, in other words! I think it's important to read books to kids above their age level. (More interesting for us, too!)