Customer reviews

on 23 February 2012
This was a pretty good story overall. A vast improvement, in my humble opinion, over the game show idea in the last one.

This time we have one of the highland security guards, Angus MacKay, and Emma "The Slayer" Wallace. Because of the very nature of these two characters and their chosen occupations, there was much more action and suspense than the last book, which is a good thing for me.

Both main characters were very likeable. In fact, so far Ms Sparks has written some very endearing characters. Perhaps even a bit too nice sometimes. My only complaint really is that, as sweet as the two characters were, the romance took a very long time to get fully established. It wasn't really until the last 30% of the book, which was just too long. This left the beginning section feeling very slow to get going.

I am, however, very intrigued by a couple of developments revealed in the epilogue, so will be continuing with the next book in the series very soon.
on 16 April 2007
This is the third book in Kerrelyn Sparks' series which began with "How to marry a millionaire Vampire" (a catchy title but not that close to the feeling of the book) and continued with "Vamps in the City". The second book was rather weaker than the first but this third instalment is definitely an improvement.

Emma Wallace is a member of the CIA's vampire hunter squad and she's very committed to her work - it's an opportunity for her to revenge herself on the vampires that killed her parents. She's English and arrived in America 7 months ago having previously worked for MI6. When lurking in Central Park to try and slay vampires she comes across Angus MacKay, a Scottish kilt-wearing warrior; she doesn't know if he's a vampire or not but her certainly catches her attention.

Emma knows the truth about vampires - that they are all evil. However, as soon as she starts to get to know Angus, who is indeed one of the evil undead, she has to start reconsidering her firmly held views. Angus works hard to get her to trust him and to keep her safe. There are far more politics involved in vampire slaying than Emma understands and as she gradually learns more about the Malcontents (bad vampires) her safety is put at risk. Can she and Angus stay safe and happy and will they get over their differences?

Despite our heroine Emma being English and our hero Angus being Scottish, their use of language is a little too American for verisimilitude. For example, both Emma and Angus seem to think that English slang for underwear is 'unders'; I'm an Englishwoman and I've never heard ANYONE call them 'unders', they are, of course, 'undies' (although at the end of the book she finally gets this right). Equally a running joke about Scottish attire and the sporran has Emma referring to it as Angus's 'purse'; this is the American word for handbag; a purse to Brits is a female's wallet, a small coin-holder, and not the bag that they are evidently referring to. It struck me that an American author using English and Scottish characters ought to check her dialects.

I liked the way that Kerrelyn Sparks didn't make Emma's distrust of Angus drag on and on (she was a little more polished with this tale than the first in the series where Shanna just seems so dense). The romance wasn't all that romantic particularly but you did feel that the central characters had enough in common to make a go of it. And, most importantly, unlike the previous two books, where one half of the love-interest is completely opposed to being made a vampire, this book has a little more 'realism' about the future possibilities between an undead and a mortal.

We meet the characters in the previous books in this one - Roman and Shanna feature quite a bit and Shanna's baby is part of the story; Austin and Darcy appear briefly. However it's not at all necessary to have read the other books to understand this one.

As a lighthearted read this works very well. Don't expect anything too deep, just enjoy the whizz through history that Angus provides and the well-woven story.
on 8 March 2009
Absolutely a most enjoyable read. This was the first book I read of the series. I had no idea of the previous books until I completed this book. However even starting on the 3rd book I did not feel I had lost out in anyway. The way the author writes her books in this series, you always start in the begining of a different story but with characters you have met in the previous books. I have now read all 5 books. I am in love with this series, Fantastic. I recommend them to everyone.
on 20 August 2010
Book 3 in the Love at Stake series. This book focuses on Angus MacKay, approximately a 500 year old vampire, and the owner of MacKay Security and Investigation. His job: to find Casimir (the leader of the evil Malcontent vampires) and to keep the mortal vampire slayer Emma Wallace safe before she gets her fool self killed!
Emma, our heroine, is part of the CIA Stake-Out team. We met her in Vamps in the City. Her idea of kicks? To go to Central Park and kill herself some vampire, why? To avenge her parents who were murdered by them. Emma is brave, strong, and darn stubborn ("the devil take it!"). Can Angus convince her that there are two vampire factions? And that he's on the good side? He had better, or he is going to end up with an arrow through his heart (but not by Cupid, and not by an arrow).
This is my favorite book of the series so far! But, it did not get 5 stars because of lack of plot (oh it starts up well, but then stalls out), and more of "all vampires are evil" still being brought up (again, even though it's been brought up in all the books so far- over, and over, and over again). Despite its downsides I LOVED both of the characters so much- my favorites so far!
on 19 September 2016
Great read again, full of action and ROMANCE! Which is missing from most books of this genre. Don't get me wrong I love a bit of rumpy pumpy but I like a bit of wooing and doing as well, this series has it all, keep up the good work😁😁
on 24 December 2013
Wonderful characters that really warm your heart and a wonderful plot with some interesting twists. This is now one of my personal favourites and I hope the two characters have many more good times together!
on 27 May 2010
Don't expect any hard and serious stuff. Just sit down and relax. It is sometimes funny, with quite a bit of excitement, romance. I was looking forward to read the remaining books from the series.
on 15 May 2009
if you love typical romance books that include vampires this is the book for you, its one of my favourites in the series and also all i want for christmas is a vampire, she has 7 books in the current series, they are stand alone books that link with each other, you meet most of the charecters in book one then each book devotes time to that particular charector also mixing it with the other charectors. its a fabulous book, typically romantic with lots of action and romance and very very funny... i would recomend this series to everyone.
on 15 February 2014
I have been hooked by this series of books so far. They can be read easily in a few hours and I have not been able to put them down. Great read for anyone who likes vampire books.
on 22 August 2012
Really, the other reviews have stated it very well, there's nothing I can add except a 'me too!'. I enjoyed the book, I've enjoyed the series. Well done, Ms. Sparks!