Customer reviews

on 18 October 2013
After reading a lot of the reviews of this book I couldn't wait to start reading it. Ok, I'm reading it about 8 years to late but hey, I just didn't have time before!

The book starts quite slowly with tales of Mick's early life which, whilst adding interesting colour to his later life, this probably isn't the reason that people are reading.

Once the book gets going, the style of writing is so easy to read and enjoyable. The stories certainly appear that they are from the heart and you can't help but admire Foley for the lengths he's gone to acheive his dreams. Quite frankly, I'd love to sit down with the guy and have a beer!

My real problem with the book (and the reason for not giving it 5 stars) is that when you get towards the end of the book it starts to read like a normal WWE book whereby very little is said about the "behind the scenes" issues and the detail all appears to be about his matches (which we can all watch for ourselves, we want to know about the things you can't see).

I suspect that given his status at the point of writing, and probably quite sensibly given how hard he's worked to get there, Foley appears to duck certain issues and pull his punches more than earlier in the book, which is a shame. I wasn't expecting any digs at Vinnie Mac and although there are a few in there, they are very much surface comments to try and gain credability as opposed to any real detail of certain issues.

The book is definantly worth reading, I just feel a little let down by the lack of behind the scenes detail in the later chapters.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 February 2016
I bought this for my girlfriend. Mankind is her favourite wrestler so this seemed like the perfect present. As it is written my the man himself she was given a first hand insight into his life as a wrestler. She was very excited when she opened it and is really enjoying reading it. So it gets a thumbs up from a wrestling fan!
on 8 June 2018
Really like it. The book itself isn't a huge book. It's smaller sized
on 6 March 2000
Besides giving a very interesting insight into the world of wrestling, and putting me straight on a few rumours that I have previously heard, this book is a true fans bible. I never used to like Mankind and it was only up until a few months ago (Royal Rumble 2000) that I discovered Cacktus Jack. I can now honestly say that I am one of the biggest fans of the man who has given so much to the sport. Mick, even though it looks like you are now retired without completing your lifetime goal, we salute you! Buy this book, and have a nice day!
on 9 August 2011
I so ashamed that Mankind was one of my least favourite characters growing up. I guess i didnt get him or appreciate what he was doing at the time. But as fas as the book goes, fantastic read by an obvioulsy very intelligent man. My only gripe was not being able to read it on my ipad to which ive become accustomed too.

Great Book , True great presence in the ring and i hope he doesnt suffer on a daily basis for what he gave for his fans! Amazing man in amazing times.
on 17 January 2017
Great read. The pace is weird sometimes, but it still lived up to my (high) expectations. I got a hardcover version, and it's really good, and the color pictures are a nice bonus.
on 3 April 2018
Bought it as a present and no complaints.
on 27 March 2000
I actually remember seeing Mick Foley as Cactus Jack when he wrestled for WCW. Did not think much of him. I then saw him when he joined the WWF as an opponent for the Undertaker who I think is brilliant. I never understood previously why the Mandible Claw was effective and why an opponent just didn't bite the fingers off.
This book explains all and gives me a whole new admiration for what the wrestlers put themselves through for the public's entertainment. One of the really good things about the Mick's life was that he was never the "Top Man", like say Ric Flair or Hulk Hogan. He had to put in years of hard work and put up with all sorts of problems, as the book makes clear, before becoming the fan favourite he is today.
At a time when other "athletes" can command astonomical sums for their services it is perhaps easy to sneer at wrestlers and say what they do is "fake" and that they are not proper athletes or sportsmen/women. After seeing some of the matches and reading this book I defy anyone to say that wrestlers are not athletes.
Thank You Mick for being so candid and making me reappraise my dislike for Harley Race for one, and giving me a lot of enjoyment from this book. I had only picked it up to read a bit at a time. I found I could not put it down, I had to finish it. Not many authors can do that. That is how good this book is.
on 31 May 2018
Best wwe bio
on 30 December 2015
A heartfelt and honest story of the life of the Hardcore Legend Mick Foley.

You could tell that this was a book written from the heart and not a farmed out autobiography like so many people do today.

This is a book not just for Wrestling fans ... but it helps if you are :P