on 4 March 2016
The moment I saw the cover of this book I thought yeah, this will be interesting. I never listened to Motley Crue, neither am I interested one bit in what kind of career they had but I will repeat what another reviewer wrote: even if you don't care about them, buy this book and you won't regret it. First of all, this is one crazy romp that gives you a very good idea about what life was like back in the day when rockers had poodle hair and wore leggings. Secondly, you will be laughing your butt off and reading with your eyebrows permanently raised at how those guys did all those things and survived to tell the story. I may be repeating again what others said but yep, it's that bad and crazy. Also, I absolutely have to mention how beautifully produced this book is. Just looking through it is an experience in itself. It starts with the cover, of course (don't forget to read through the label on the bottle) and then there are the chapter headings, and the amazing photos, and some additional trivia in the form of comments or photocopies of eviction notes and the like, and the whole typesetting deal, like the little ornaments here and there, and even the unusual page numbers. This book has been designed with great care and it's worth buying it to just look at how it was done. But it's an amazingly written story as well, colourful, super interesting, mind-boggling, hilarious, cheeky and simply so great it makes you feel SO happy you discovered it. If you know someone who listened to rock in the 80s and 90s, or just someone who likes music and is interested in its history, buy this book for them too. But don't buy an ebook, buy the proper paper version so you don't miss anything from this fantastic experience. I'd give it six stars if I could.
3 people found this helpful
on 6 July 2015
Right from the offset Motley Crue make their intentions clear, they are out to disgust and disturb you, for they are the world’s most notorious rock and roll band- and they are going to prove that.

For all of the first few chapters they seem to be out to shock you more and more, even if you think it can’t get worse- except then it does. It even got to the point that it seemed almost normal- which is possibly worse.

I think it was probably planned that way. Nikki in particular seemed so egotistical that I can see him wanting to be the most scandalous band, which makes you wonder if you should believe it all. Indeed at some point each of the members mentioned how it was an expected rock and roll lifestyle- like they had to do it o have any credibility, which is a bi crazy.

Later on things get lighter, as the band members get married and start having kids, and at times it is rather sad.

I don’t really know anything about Motley Crue. I knew the names of the band members, but not in relation to the band. And I don’t think I could name any of their songs, they’re not really my style to be honest. I don’t think that mattered though, I could still read the book, sometimes I got a little confused with who was who and especially who was dating who, but I’m not sure how much easier that would have been if I knew the band.

In a way I would say it’s a bit of a coming of age tale. As the band begins to change and grow, even what they write seems less egotistical and more introspective.

If you can make it though the first disgusting bits then you will be rewarded by the end (and I think the beginning is needed for the balance).
on 5 April 2014
I read this book as i had heard how amusing it is... and yes it is. I been into metal for a good 20 years now and always kept clear of the 80s sunset strip nonsense (even down to GNR who came out around then)... but as i gotten older i have found my self looking into these bands and appreciating the good tunes they created.

Now onto the book, it gets better about 1/2 way through when fame and fortune start to dwindle for them. The first part of the book is mostly full of exaggerations that are so obvious it caused me to cringe (read like a 12 year old virgin boasting about his sexual exploits to his chums) ... but it soon mellows out as they get older (and i guess can recall what actually happened rather than filling the first few album stories with filler anecdotes of the type mentioned above) and a lot more interesting to read. If you fancy a good "Story" without too much depth i would recommend it.... Where are they now? Well doing a "final tour" it seems ..with a few nice solo projects.

After reading the book i heard a song on planet rock which really resonated, the band was "Sixx Am".. didnt take me long to guess who was in the band, i brought the album and can also recommend Nicki's album "This is gonna hurt" by his band Sixx AM... Which also ties in with "The Heroin diaries" as nikki released an album of same name to go with the book...but that album is not as good and more of a book tie in.
on 29 August 2013
This is the definitive biography of the bad boys of rock n roll. A bare knuckle sweat blood and tears expose of the ultimate rock gods. Mötley Crüe are without doubt the best rock band in the world. I loved this book, it just oozes sex, drugs and Mexican midgets. Nikki Sixx was my hero whilst growing up and the Crüe are still my fave band after all these years (Too Fast For Love was my first ever album bought). Once you start reading this book, you just cannot put it down. There are some great stories, the most notable for me is when a woman crawls through a window into Nikki's room and has sex with him, she leaves the same way and it turns out the following day that it was Bruce Dickinson's wife, ever wondered where Bruce got the idea for Tattooed Millionaire? Out of all the books put out by the Crüe (Heroin Diaries, This is Gonna Hurt, Tommyland, Tequila and Sunrises) this is the best. Well recommended.
on 24 July 2017
This book is messed up! Its definitely one of the best rock bios I've ever read. But Steven Adler's book 'My appetite for destruction' is still the best book about drugs, music and girls I've ever read. This comes a close second. Also good is Keith Richards autobiography and Lemmys 'White line fever'.
on 30 July 2017
Dear God, can humans get any lower. Disgustingly candid and you have to finish it through sheer morbid curiosity. Good though.
on 30 April 2014
I loved this mental book! absolutely bonkers stories of the madness and vanity of rockstars. It's very well-written and though I don't believe the testimonies of the band members it's certainly entertaining. Tommy Lee writing about how it was Pamela Anderson's fault that he beat her up is a disturbing read.

It's deeply misogynistic and very revealing. God alone knows why women went anywhere near them.
on 15 March 2013
I was recommended this book many years ago by a now sadly departed friend. I never bothered to follow it up until quite recently being no fan of the band in any shape or form but you do not have to be. This is just an excellent book written from the heart by the people that were there. Yes it's full of debauched tales as you would expect but it also lays bare the soul of 4 misfit man-boys and done in such a matter of fact way. There were parts where I was disgusted at their behaviour, parts where I burst out laughing (Mick believing he was dead) and parts where I had to just put it down before I started to cry. I had no hesitation about giving it to my wife to read and she was of the same opinion and loved it from cover to cover.
I think the film of the book is due to be released this year. I can only hope it lives up to this excellent book.
on 2 February 2015
I never liked Motley Crüe (I actively disliked them) but I really liked this tale of drink, drugs and debauchery. What shines through is their brutal, unvarnished honesty which at times (many times actually) paints themselves and their other bandmates in an absolutely terrible light. There are many laugh out loud moments and I hope you find it as engrossing, appalling and as amusing as I did.
on 1 April 2017
A shocking book but a page turner, you won't be able to put it down. I read it because it was on the 20 books to read in your twenties, I knew little about the band but still enjoyed it.