on 28 March 2018
Not just the best book on comics but one of the best books I know on any subject whatsoever. In 25 years teaching undergraduates I have put this on numerous reading lists and often lent out my copy to students. It is essential reading for anyone interested in communication in whatever form. It is also so brilliantly systematic that it can serve as a model for any kind of textbook.

A great read, too.
on 14 October 2017
Hi there.
This book was recommended to me when I asked about books for design as "not totally about design book but a must read for a designer".
I'm just going to say that this is one of the best informative books I've ever read!
It is an eye-opener & mind-blowing experience.
I recommend it for absolutely everyone, whether you are interested in comics themselves, design, or art in general.
There is no way you are going to regret buying this book.
All the best for everyone.
2 people found this helpful
on 3 September 2013
I had recently started getting into reading graphic novels when my friend recommended this book to me. I was skeptical at first - put off by the mention of "comics" - but decided to give it a try anyway after hearing more rave reviews. I was definitely not disappointed. Scott McCloud uses the medium of comics to explain their history and how to understand them, exploring everything from faces and backgrounds to panels and the progression of time in a comic. His explanations are easy to understand, even for people like me who are very inexperienced with comics.

This book has given me a new appreciation for comics. I've read graphic novels completely differently since reading it. I now really notice the authors' styles, savour each frame, and I feel like I have a deeper understanding of the stories now than I would've before. I also appreciate the time and effort that goes into making a good comic and find it unfortunate that comics are generally not taken very seriously.

I will never look at comics the same way again, and in some ways I will never look at art the same way again either. This book is both for those experienced and very inexperienced with comics. Very thought-provoking but also an entertaining read!
on 22 August 2014
Bought this as a present for a friend but got sucked in reading half of it myself before wrapping it, absolutely fascinating, I didn't realise there was so much complexity to comic book writing. This book really does pay respect to this amazing art form and as other reviews say, it gives you a whole new and complex view of what you're looking at. To those that tut, roll eyes and say "Aren't comics just for kids?" - read this book and your opinions will make a complete U-turn and do away with the stereotype! I have only recently started reading comic books, and I now can't wait to get stuck in to more & more, paying more attention to how they are formulated.
on 2 November 2014
This is a must have for anyone studing illustration and has an interest in squential illustration.

The way that the book is written in a comic book style is a fantastic way of illustrating the ideas and concepts that the book discusses aswell as being a refreshing change from a text heavy book. Using this style of narration this book discusses theoritical ideas about illustration or indeed any graphic art form in away that other books struggle to do, without being overly complex.

this book has really helped and helping me with my studies (good for references!)
VINE VOICEon 19 May 2015
Super look at comics and the art of creating them.

Done in a very accessible and original cartoon style it should be on every cartoonists bookshelf.

Probably the definitive guide to creating comics.

If you have any desire to get into comic creation you need to read this book.
2 people found this helpful
on 23 February 2018
I was hoping for some theory on creating comics, but this is more a journey through the history of comics with a very specific philosophy in mind.
on 10 December 2016
For anyone wanting to develop ideas for the creation of comics this has to the best book....for beginners and thereafter as a reference book
Highly recommend
on 29 August 2011
This book is a MUST-HAVE for anyone who enjoys the comics medium, it completely changed the way that i perceive comic books, i often felt a small guilty pleasure from enjoying comics, but McCloud gave me the confidence to say "Comics are a valid and amazing artform!" his ideas are presented in a clear and concise manner, and for a visual person such as myself i found it much easier to digest his ideas then trying to interpret a huge block of text!
i refuse to believe that this book wont change the way anyone feels about comics
thanks
Banana Jim
on 22 October 2015
Well written, thought provoking and stimulating. Great art work - the author has made a great effort to create something new and he has succeeded. Enjoyable and helpful.