on 16 July 1999
I have to say, that I have read and reviewed a lot of books for a resource list that my non-profit has prepared to give to educators and youth in the local school systems. Of all that I have read, this is the one that I would suggest for just about anyone. It has so much helpful information for teachers/clergy/friends/family/parents and gay youth themselves. I wish that every educator, service provider, counselor, clergy-person that works with youth would read it and have a copy to give to others. It's that good!
on 17 June 1998
I have been actively researching homosexual youth and teen suicide for many months now. I could bury myself in books. I have also contacted guidance counselors across the U.S. to see what programs different schools have in their areas. It has taken me many, many hours. I could give you a synopsis from all I've read, however, most youth and parents included, will never do as much research as I have. I recently reread this book and I can honestly say that if I was able to offer one resource to a confused child/parent or other, this would be it. It focuses on just about every subject that one might have a question about. The book is not "sugar-coated" or biased it is only candid and honest. The current research I have been doing has brought me to this book. It is somewhat of a bible of the 30 or 40 books I read. If you have questions...read it! If you don't, read it anyway, you will be better for it. Kudos!!!!
on 8 February 1999
I advise a gay,lesbian,bi,transgendered youth group and have found Free Your Mind to be a powerful help to these coming out youth. The book's comprehensive overview of what being a sexual minority means lends a balanced picture to the often comfused gay youth. They read it, their parents read it and so do their friends. It even provides ideas for discussion topics when we meet every week. I highly recommend this valuable guide to our GLBT youth! Oh, if it were available 40 years ago for my generation.
on 26 April 1998
This book is not only a good resource for GLBT teenagers, but a great book for those of us who are allies of these teens. I am a teacher in an all-girl Catholic high school and currently this book is being passed around to the lesbian-sympathetic faculty. While the book seems to gloss over some of the intricacies of the problems traditionally associated with religion, it still is a sound guide for the average teen and ally. I would highly recommend that this book be in every high school library and guidance resource center.
on 5 October 1996
This book brings to light the positive side of being gay or lesbian and being young. Too often one reads the same old verbage about how it's not normal, or is normal yet isn't... in this book it gives accounts from real kids and parents and is an outstanding resource. I'm 15 and highly recommend this book for anyone and everyone.
on 12 December 1997
This book has changed my life and my families. It is fun, practical, and sound. I really like the hundreds of personal quotes and stories. It's worth every penny and many more. The photo's are happening. I found a sample of the book on line too-- I sent a copy of this book to my catholic high school, they needed it.