on 3 February 2018
I am really thrilled to have found this author, bought this book on kindle but have now purchased other writings in book form and will do the same for this as I think it is a special find which I will pass on to others.. There is real beauty in this book, which is her most famous, some of the descriptions of events are poetic and without pretension or an overt political attitude, the story unfolds and is not predictable so I would not read any literary reviews talking about characters etc. before reading the story in full. Enough said as there are reviews published within the book hence my suggestion.
on 26 October 2016
The most beautifully written novel I have read. At first it could be tricky to get into the flow of this book, however persevere as the story is well thought out and the writing is almost lyrical in places. This has become one of my favourite books and a real shame that not many people are aware of its greatness. Give it a go.
on 10 June 2014
As you'd expect, this is quite an old-fashioned novel, and is as slow and charming and comfortable as that would suggest. It's perhaps one of those cases where the book is more significant to study and to understand than it is enjoyable to read, as nothing within it seems too groundbreaking today.
on 14 September 2014
Excellent book, this tells how so many suffered for so long, and yet never lost hope. Well worth reading if studying the Slavery
Issues of the Southern States.
on 9 August 2017
Love it! Half way through the book already. This is a must read. Get's you thinking.
on 31 October 2015
Not everyone's cup often but I enjoyed it
on 9 August 2013
I was pleased with all aspects of this purchase: the product arrived promptly and was in excellent condition and met my expectations.
on 29 December 2014
A truly great and profoundly moving book.
on 30 April 2014
More than just a book.This is a well book at a really good price. I am very happy with this purchase. Very happy !
on 18 August 2013
Strangely atmospheric. I didnt think I would like this, the patois takes a bit of getting used to, but the characters are very strong and eventually the whole just comes together. Beautifully written.