Customer reviews

on 12 January 2012
This is my first Russell Banks book and it won't be my last. It's a story about a teenage boy who has suffered badly from every self centred adult relationship he has been involved in - Mother, Stepfather, Father...all Bone wants is to be loved for who he is and taken care of as a child should be.

Bone tries to do the right thing where people he loves are involved but it never works out well, after all he's a teenager who hasn't been guided by anyone (except by people's selfish motives). I-Man was a positive influence and things changed for the better when they met, but I still wonder about I-Man...

I strongly recommend this book for anyone who loves a superbly written story with a difference, 'edge' and feeling. I loved Bone and I hope he is happy wherever he is.
on 1 February 1999
This was the first Bank's novel I'd read & it has definately encouraged me to read more. 'Rule of the Bone' follows a young teenage boy as he struggles to survive in his small home town, living with his mother and father in law who is abusing him. Eventually, he leaves his home town only to become caught up in a life of petty crime. He eventually meets Iman, a Jamaican rasta, living in a caravan in a car park. It doesn't sound too appealing but this is where our young heros life begins to take a turn for the better. Travelling to Jamaica with his new friend in search of his real father, lets our leading character embark on yet another adventure. This book is a true mix of trajedy and joy. The message seems to be that no matter how bad life can get, there is always a way of dealing with it. Inspiring & Bitter - sweet.
on 3 January 2012
A Russell Banks fan, once again i was not disapointed with Rule of the Bone. Another of his books that makes one love American litterature. Deep scrutiny of a teenager's feelings through his initiatory journey in a world that is rough and unkind.
on 13 June 2001
This is a truly uplifting, funny, chilled and well-thought out piece of fiction. It was recommended to me by a friend a couple of years ago, and I took it along with me to a summer festival (which os a great environment in which to read this book by the way). I immediately became totally caught up in the main character's tale of emotional rags-to-riches, his love of simple things (gear, being cool, and chilling out) and is it narrated in one of the most authentic first-person styles I have ever read. Read this book and be uplifted and transported. This should be a cult classic if there is any justice in the world.
on 10 August 2009
Banks has written a novel of our world, but not the best or most enjoyable part of it. A must read -- also because it is well written, but not much fun on vacation.

John Eichrodt. France.
on 25 July 2013
The best book I have read in decades - one of the very best novel of Russell Banks - simply amazing.
on 21 April 1999
From the first words of the book I was convinced I was reading the account first hand of what had happened to the author. The book gave what seemed to be an extremely compelling account of a boys rather messed up life so that whilst, what happens to him seems increadable, it is also absolutely believeable and you as the reader are in there too living it with him, listening to his strangely profound comments on what has occured to him. "The Bone Rules"
on 14 October 2016
One of my all time favourite books! Such a great read!
on 4 September 2008
A wonderful moving story that has been compared with Huckleberry Finn. The author's best work in my opinion. I felt like I as there with the central character every step of the way. Just writing about it now makes me want to pick it up for a third time. Gotta go!
on 24 August 2015
One of the best stories I've ever read.