on 11 March 1997
I was first turned on to this book in an undergraduate womens's studies class and I have yet to find another book I feel so passionately about. It's a down to earth, personal memoir of one woman's struggle to find herself. This book portrays the realities of life in the coming of age and the search for your place within the bone house (your dwellings - your body and your home). Any woman can relate to this story and find comfort in its telling. Once discovered, it's a book you'll want to pick up again and again and a book you'll want to share with your closest friends.
on 16 August 1999
I believe this book may be a bit miss-classified. Every comment I have read about it makes a reference to "Women's Studies" or feminism. Naaah! She is way too open, too free of the urges to posture and self-censor for that!
In this memoir, Nancy Mairs tells her own story straight up, leaving the gender stereotypes behind. It all reads refreshingly true, with a Yankee voice so clean it begs to be read aloud.
on 29 December 2013
As I said brought back so many of my childhood memories. Of a Time of horses, sheep and cows, playing in the hay barns and banging the oil drum to meet my friends. :>)