on 26 March 2011
Having worked through most of the other Sudoku books by Wayne Gould (up to and including Extreme), I wanted something more challenging and to progress to the next stage. I bought (from Amazon) a book of extreme puzzles by Antoine Alary and found that the skils learned from the Wayne Gould books didn't enable me to complete ANY of the puzzles. I hoped that with the words "Grand Master" in this book from Wayne Gould it would help me onto the next stage. Sadly no. This isn't a Grand Master book at all - it's more relevant to those learning Sudoku from the simplest of puzzles. The book doesn't even include any of the advanced skills described in Wayne Gould's Extreme books, and the most difficult puzzles in this book (of which there are only 10 - labelled "Superior") are relatively easy.
VINE VOICEon 15 March 2011
I have not bought this but in the absence on info on I was forced to find out for myself. I know it is another book by Wayne Gould and it is "Grand Master Su Doku Ultimate". Ultimate suggests it is either highest quality, or utmost or extreme, or the last of a series. Grand Master suggests only a few people are capable of solving these puzzles. It sounded very promising.

So I tried the puzzle on the cover. Not very difficult. If that puzzle is representative at all it is pitched somewhere below Fiendish.

I found some information elsewhere which says it is a collection of 150 unpublished puzzles of all levels, together with 5 Super Dokus (?), extra fiendish puzzles, and junior puzzles for children, is "Dokulicious". Hints and tips for solving the puzzles faster are provided. The ultimate treat for the Su Doku fan from the Grand Master of the game.

It is bit difficult to imagine who it is aimed at. I guess the concept is that it will be left on a table and anyone can pick it up and do a puzzle whether they are experts or children. It is not what I was hoping for so will not be buying it. I am forced to give a star rating even though this is not a review in the usual sense. However, I thought it useful to share my findings.