on 6 August 2002
Having been unable as yet to conceive my first baby and feeling completely useless, I decided that I must empower myself in an attempt to feel more in control of the situation. Reading TCOYF was my first step along this path and I am so glad that I discovered this book when I did!
My GP was reluctant to propose infertility testing until we had 'tried' for one year (how I hate that phrase). Through the information contained within this book (and it's web site), I learned that I would not be able to conceive without medical intervention. As a result, I visited the GP, armed with the information I had learned and she immediately referred me to a Gynae.
TCOYF has taught me things that the Dr does not tell you and my immediate reaction to this book was one of complete frustration that I had previously been totally unaware of my own body!
I can not rate this author highly enough. Even if you only buy or read one book this year - make it this one.
on 19 May 2002
When you are school you are taught the facts of life, however it doesn't seem to apply really when you are only 11 years old. However, when you are older you wish you had paid more attention as you need to know all of that information to help you understand your own body. This book does just that. Having decided after 8 months of trying for a baby, that getting pregnant was a rather hit and miss affair, I read the book and charted my cycle for one month - learning a lot about my body in the meantime - the next month, due to knowing exactly when I ovulated, I fell pregnant. I would recommend this book to anyone who is serious about getting pregnant or who wants to take charge of birth control without drugs.
on 21 January 2003
Difficult to praise this book in words which haven't already been written - ditto all the other reviews!
If you're trying to achieve or avoid conception, this book is a must read. It explains in layman's language and terminology, with helpful diagrams, charts and pictures, everything you could possibly want to know about the female reproductive system (and a bit about the men too!). It should be a compulsory text for sex education in schools.
If you are considering starting a family - read this book first. If you have any problems getting pregnant, it will equip you with the knowledge & therefore the confidence to approach your Dr with educated questions (& probably an accurate self-diagnosis too!).
I read this book on & off for six months before trying to conceive - and it made the whole process feel a lot less like fumbling around in the dark (no pun intended!). After just two months, we are now looking forward to the arrival of our first child.
This book is definitely a keeper - buy it today, you won't regret it!
on 11 May 2002
What an amazing book!
After 10 years on the pill and fed up of all it's side affects and having tried everything else I thought I'd find out about more natural methods.
As a biology teacher I should have known what was going on with my own body, be able to locate my cervix etc.. but really had no idea in reality.
When I first started charting i found it really exciting. Things happened just like the book described. I felt alive , proud to be a woman and glad everything was working. It was liberating. Being able to predict when I will ovulate has become quite a fun game. Knowing what's going on in my own body is amazing.
I just wish I hadn't spent 10 years on the pill. The book is easy to read, easy to follow and will teach you things about your own body you never knew. It's easy to do, takes minutes and I think should be taught to all women.
on 25 February 2002
This book explains how to track your monthly cycle accuratly. I would reccomend it to anyone looking for an alternative method of contraception or wishing to understand their monthly cycle, not just those wishing to concieve (who may know much of the information anyway). If I have daughters I intend to buy a copy for each of them as it contains the basic information which they are entitled to, enabeling them to identify what is normal and when there is a problem. Finally for those who wish to try Natural Family Planning but are put off by some books with a strong religious content - this book is ideal, the author does not use the book to promote her personal beliefs (if she has any they are not apparent - although the book is written from a pro woman point of view) but gives a fact based and uplifting journey through understanding your fertility.
on 21 February 2015
Yes it's providing me with a greater insight into fertility awareness as I'm breast feeding so needed specific advice. I only wish I could contact the author as still unsure about a few things. Other then that I'd def recommend for those trying for a baby. Advice on the correct types of thermometers and lubricants or ovulation kits are Also detailed. Took quite a while to arrive but worth the wait.
on 4 July 2004
This book is the only thing you need well almost if you want to get pregnant. I was trying for 6 months before buying this book and got pregnant within the first month of having it, i now have a beautiful 2o month old daughter. Just recently my friend had been trying for a second child since new year, i gave her this book in may and she is now 7 weeks pregnant.
I would recommend it too any one, not only does it help those trying for a child, but it makes you so much more aware of your body and the way it fucntions.
on 12 June 2016
Fabulous book, it helped me understand my body and get pregnant very easily (although we have tried to conceive for a few months only now I felt I was really ready for the experience and truly understood when I could easily get pregnant). Would definitely recommend to everyone.
on 2 September 2002
Believe what all the rest of the reviews say... This book is brilliant. I wish I had been taught this information about my body when I was at school.
Read it before you attempt to conceive, I believe it will reduce a large amount of the anxiety surrounding trying to fall pregnant. I wish many of my friends had known about FAM. It would have saved the humiliation of unneccesary medical tests.
This book is a keeper.
on 6 December 2012
I thoroughly recommend this book for anyone who is interested in the female reproductinve system, be it for fertility, birth control or general health reasons. Particualarly as an education tool for younger sexually active girls.

The book is very informative, easy to read and full of useful tools, diagrams and pictures.

I did find that there was a bit too much 'fluff' fro my personal taste, but appreciate that this may be liked by other readers - this said, it is easy to simply pick out the key facts and ignore the fluff!