on 8 August 1999
I first read Profiles in Courage nearly 30 years ago while still in high school. I just finished reading it again and none of its core truth has changed; if anything, recent history has reinforced it. This book will be required reading for my son and daughter as I try to pass along the values of Jeffersonian democracy embodied in the phrase "of the people, for the people, and by the people." It is worth reading every decade or so as a reminder not only of the standards to which we should hold our elected leaders, but also the standards we should strive to meet in our everyday lives. In this book, JFK refrained from partisan filtering in the selection of his profile subjects and the writing overall attempts to avoid hero worship while appropriately recognizing the act(s) of political courage. An added plus are the introduction and the closing summary, which give additional insight into the character of the author, whom none of us got to experience for as long as we would have wished. Perhaps it is time for Profiles in Courage, Volume II; a volume in which JFK himself would no doubt warrant a chapter.
on 11 April 2017
Had this book as a kid. Lost it. Got it again. Now applying on a mortgage for my house so I can afford to buy his earlier book "Why England Slept" !
on 13 December 2014
16 year old John F Kennedy fan here! A lot of people think it is strange that he is one of my heroes but I think it's great that his excellence and inspiration is going to live on through my generation too! Anyway... Love this book, mainly because it was written by him! Great purchase!
on 1 May 2017
Good book. Well written.
on 7 January 1999
With the recent impeachment of President Clinton by the U.S. House of Representatives, and the impending trial in the Senate, "Profiles in Courage" gives an appropriate historical persepective on the impact of the impeachment process. This book allows the reader to truly understand the immense pressure each member of Congress was under at the time of the impeachement of President Andrew Johnson. It also brings into focus the sheer magnitude of the duties we have bestowed on members of both the House of Representatives and the Senate today. This book points out that an impeachement trial should not be taken lightly. As was demonstrated in "Profiles in Courage", John Kennedy skillfully portrays the agony Edmund G. Ross went through before making his decision to cast a not guilty vote - saving President Johnson - from being thrown out of office. Ross'decision would have a resounding impact on the Constitution and the history of our nation. Now, 130 years later, members of the U.S. Senate are being asked to face the same challenges that Senator Ross faced. This portion of "Profiles" should be read by every member of the U.S. Senate before any votes to throw the president out of office are cast.
on 7 January 1999
I really enjoyed the reality that this book displayed to me, as it opened my eyes up to real life and the things that are happening araound the world. This book was a relevation for me and i believe it is just about the best books of all time.
on 17 November 1997
John F. Kennedy, in a lucid manner, details the political life of eight U.S. Senators. Kennedy outlines the hard decisions each Senator had to make, often at the expense of their careers. However, as Kennedy explains, these decisions were for the good of the nation and not just the good of each individual politician. I recommend this book to anyone considering going into politics. Maybe it should be required reading before being able to represent people. I know our political system would work much better if current politicians would frequent this book. An extraordinary book!
on 22 May 1998
John F. Kennedy's Pulitzer Prize winning book is a must read for all Americans interested in the importance of statesmanship and the courage to place principles above personal profit. Each chapter details the works of a U.S. legislator who made a significant impact on the credibility of the United States Constitution, often putting his or her career on the line to defend the foundations of the American republic. Many of these legislators are rarely spoken of today, but the continuing tradition of the democratic process of this nation owes a deep sense of gratitude to these statesmen.

At a time when many of us are questioning the character and the ambitions of our political leaders, this book is a worthy reminder to us that a few good people can make the difference. This book is timely and pertinent when cyncism abounds in the minds of many voters and taxpayers.
on 24 December 2014
This was bought as a gift and the quality of the book is appalling. The pages weren't properly cut, making it look as if someone is creating these books in a basement. Fortunately my niece thought it looked retro, so won't need to return it, but any future buyers be warned, as I see I am not the only person to complain about the quality of this book.
on 26 December 2013
Not a good copy as most of the pages were not cropped--dissapointing as the previous copy ordered was the same