Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 8 April 2012
Suzanne Enoch normally writes in an energetic style and the pace and humour help the reader to ignore the glaring ignorance of this author for both her subject's period and location. Unfortunately this book lacks both pace and humour and I found it increasingly difficult to ignore the farsical inaccuracies of the author. This book is about the romance between the second son of the illustrious Griffin family which allegedly claims to trace itself back to Roman times (really?)and the unlikely character of the Indian born daughter of English parents. There are so many outstanding errors in this book which even minimal research would have avoided. For example Salwar Kameez are not worn with a Sari and Saris are not wound cylindrically around the body, -it would be impossible to walk whilst wearing them. They are in fact brilliant garments which are wrapped once around the waist then yards of fabric are neatly pleated at the front and tucked into the drawstring waist of the underskirt. Sufficient fabric is left to drape across the chest and over one shoulder with a close fitting top underneath. They are garments which are both feminine and practical.
England didn't exist in Roman times. The whole province was called Britain. England was formed several centuries later from the eventual merging of several separate kingdoms. 'England' is derived from the 'Angles' who along with the Saxons and Jutes invaded after the Romans left.
on 21 August 2007
Suzanne Enoch has a gift to create male protagonists that are intelligent, sexy, and interesting as persons. This I have to admit after having read Something Sinful.

Lord Charlemagne "Shay" Griffin first showed himself in Sin And Sensibility, the story of Eleanor, the sister of the three Griffin brothers. I could imagine, after having devoured that morsel, that Ms. Enoch was going to write a book about each of the brothers, too. I wasn't too enthusiastic, because the only one that aroused my interest somewhat was the eldest brother Sebastian, and even he seemed quite stuffy and stiff. Shay was seen to be stubborn and to have a deplorable temper, quite an oaf actually, and that seemed to be about that.

And now, lo and behold, I have read Something Sinful and found myself liking the character. We are not only told that Shay is a person with intelligence, humour, and quite a lot of feelings behind his controlled front; he is allowed to show us these qualities himself. He is twenty-eight years old, and the mixture of a choleric temper, a sound sense of humour, and a stern self-control is in my opinion most interesting, and Ms Enoch has made it believable.

There is a problem with Shay's Lady Sarala Carlisle that occurs quite often in Regency romantic literature: the lady's mentality is too modern, as if someone of us had been picked from the life of the 21st Century and transferred to the Regency period. On the other hand, Sarala is likeable: clever, unmanipulative, honest. I'd like to have her as a friend. I am glad that she can love Shay; I am glad that Shay loves her for who she is, even if she could be quite a pill for many a man's self-esteem. There is something very sympathetic in this couple, even though it is not always obvious what it is.

This book is not one of my absolute favourites, but it was quite a lot more than I expected. I suppose I should have guessed that, after Sin And Sensibility with the delectable and complex Valentine Corbett. I just wonder, might Ms. Enoch be able to think of some more probable names than Melbourne and Hanover in the future?
on 27 April 2007
FOllowing on from another book this was a fantastic read. Characters funny. The female is fiesty and there is good dialogue between the male and female characters. Such a good book i have already read it twice!

Buy it!!!