on 8 March 2014
I love everyman library book publishers and I am building my library of their fiction classics too. They are beautiful hardback editions, with informative introductions and great value for money. I came to Rumi through the self help writer DR W. Dyer and I keep this edition handy as it's good to dip into for moments of comfort and inspiration.
on 22 October 2015
Rumi voices the ineffable. Ye I know that's oxymoronic; but he can convey things that seem impossible to convey. So the book is wonderful. The delivery was really fast. The condition of the book was perfect. So, top marks all round.
on 14 March 2017
Romance is not dead yet
on 27 January 2017
Happy with purchase
on 27 May 2017
Good Thankx
on 26 November 2012
Is probably one of the best Rumi books on the market - with an illuminating selection of his writings. It also is an attractive book to have on the bookshelf.
on 7 April 2010
I have several books of rumi-s magnificent poetry, awe-inspiring...great ...wonderful ....works of art in every word and vivid pictures he paints. Rumi-s books seems to inspire so many people to write so much about his works ...like the poet himself, although wrote many words .....Kept his philosophy simple. So I will try.

It is more comprehensive than some of the other books, who just give one verse snippets from the longer poems; a snap shot of delights they may be but frustrating if you want more. This edition supplies a little more. A wonderful book offering, a little of something for everyone but still not the complete edition I was looking for......

My only grief and it is a small one, is that I cannot share the full version of my favourite poems with friends when reading aloud.....Especially Zuleikha and or the these wonderful lines from A great wagon.... (The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you - don't go back to sleep...you must ask for what you really want -don't go back to sleep. ) for example are not included?.....That said I still recommend it ... There are other pearls on offer to enjoy.
33 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 August 2005
Coleman Barks once again translates the words of Rumi with respect, good nature, a bit of humor, and a deep understanding of this 13th century mystic and poet. A renowned poet and something of a mystic himself, Coleman Barks leads us through his book as a constant and caring companion. He begins each chapter with his own touching stories, guidance, and expert explanations for the material he lays out. One simply cannot come away from this book without having some sincere appreciation for the devotion and dedication Coleman Barks has for another poet's words.
In "Rumi: The Book Of Love: poems of ecstasy and longing", we are led deep into the regions of the soul, where love is both Universal and Divine. It is a love that beckons us to shed our own image and concepts of ourselves, in exchange for a love that is so vast and joyful, its eloquence can only be experienced rather than explained.
How can we know the divine qualities from within? If we only know through metaphors, It's like when children ask what sex feels like and you answer, "Like candy, so sweet." (88)
Rumi seems to realize mankind is comprised of many faiths, and he mentions many of them with dignity and respect. Yet Rumi's own experience takes him beyond religion, even his own. He often exchanges the word "God" with "Friend", and refers to himself and others who have achieved his enlightened state as "Lovers".
Rumi's words and sublime wisdom ring true for us, as he shares his knowledge of the God-Friend in a both Universal and personal message. We are extremely fortunate to have the poetry of this selfless and compassionate mystic reach us through the fragile, and often forgetful, span of time. Because through Rumi's poetry, we seem to hear our own soul's call and longing to gently open like a beautiful and fragrant flower, and laugh with a tender and colorful sweetness.
There is some kiss we want with our whole lives,
the touch of spirit on the body (33)
~Brian Douthit
author of "Perfectly Said: when words become art"
0Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 May 2005
This poetry book is among my top favorites. The poetry of Rumi gleams and sparkles with meaning for modern times ... amazing as it was written in the 1240s A.D. The natural imagery used is always surprising. He never fails to capture human emotions and the human condition, using original and sometimes highly provocative but very 'on-target' terms.
The subject matter of each poem is varied, although the theme of the book is 'work' ... it really is about much, much more than work. I can not praise the themes of the poems and contents of this book enough. One outstanding poem uses "grapes" as imagery. Rumi describes for the reader, "How It Is with Grapes". When they are immature they jostle competetively in the bunch ... after maturing, the grapes soften, the skin rips open and become one juice. Rumi reassures us, it is just the same with humans. We are also told some grapes grow stone-hard but the secret to that sour tightness remains hidden. What is more important is ... that we grow ... with each breath ... through the help of the heart master.
Another poetic masterpiece is "Die Before You Die". We are told about a riddle, that the opener and that which is opened are the same ... Rumi states, "The day and the daily bread that comes are not to be worshiped for themselves. ... That it is the ocean inside the fish that bears it along, not the riverwater. ... The time-river spreads and disappears into the ocean with the fish." "Be one of G-d's fish who receives what it needs directly from the ocean around it - food, shelter, sleep, medicine." In conclusion, "A seed breaks into the ground. Only then does a new fig tree come into being. *That's* *the* *meaning* *of* *die* *before* *you* *die*." This is truly phenomenal poetry that has been tested over time. It is 800 years strong and still filled with enlightenment and human insight into the phenomenon called "Life".
Erika Borsos (bakonyvilla)
on 15 July 2011
I am enamored of this book for within a few pages, my eyes can see these poems are alive. Rumi, the 13th century Sufi master, has found his modern vocal through poet Coleman Barks - I can't read the original language but from those translations I found the poems to be poignant, vital and awakening. This book is divided into 22 chapters of ecstatic readings with Mr. Barks commentaries preluding each section initiating a discourse where a diverse of poems are included. In the discussion of "Sohbet", regarding the retreats where poets dwell and the jobs that poets do, Emily Dickinson's celestial lines are quoted:

"...
Of visitors, the fairest.
For occupations, this:
The spreading wide my narrow hands
To gather paradise. (11)"

The Lord of poems is no mystic to those who've experienced epiphany. His words have escaped the time and the restrictions of death. Such poems are enlightenments:

"QUIETNESS
Inside this new love, die.
Your way begins on the other side.
Become the sky.
Take an ax to the prison wall.
Escape. Walk out
Like someone suddenly born into color.
***
The speechless full moon comes out now. (33)"

My sister sent me this gift of poetry on my birthday and whatever she wishes to say is well-expressed by this BOOK OF LOVE.