Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 September 2004
Donna again uses her simple and down to earth style, this time focusing on the spiritual side of yoga. Unlike her previous book based mostly on asana and breathing, this book is devoted to living your life and philosophy. Based in places on Patanjali's sutras, but with influence also drawn from the Gita and Upanishads, Donna guides us through the yogic principles in a refreshingly down to earth guide.
If you are a student interested in finding out more about yoga philosophy, or a teacher looking for a deeper understanding, this is the book for you. It is also a fantastic teaching aid and helps make philosophy more accesible and less "out-there" for students who may be put off by the classic texts.
I can thoroughly recommend this book to all yogis!
on 24 November 2004
This book is one of the most influential, enligtening and worthwhile books I have read, as good for a non yogi as it is a yogi.
The insights and easy reading style, along with nice tone and friendly atmosphere make this book an essential read for anyone.
Each point is made clearly and with very good examples, which bring more clarity. Its a book you will want and probably need to read a few times, and certainly one that will be good as a starting book to research further into the Yoga Sutras, Buddism and spirituality.
I could go on, but to be honest, just buy the book, and be glad you did.
on 29 March 2009
Donna Farhi is not only a true yogi but also a gifted writer. She leads us gently by the hand showing us the more spiritual side of yoga teachers often glance over.
A very positive and uplifting book by an intellegnt and greatly respected teacher.
Buy it!
on 10 January 2011
This is not a "self help" book but the best "guide" for living a happier more fulfilled life I have ever come across. It puts the responsibility squarely back into your own hands in a very encouraging common sense way. I recommend it highly even if yoga is not your thing. Great book.
on 29 January 2014
A beautifully written book that has enhanced and nourished my thinking, being and practice. Donna has drawn on a wealth of personal experience and shed light onto the challenges, pitfalls and dilemmas that many of us bring to the mat and beyond. I can say without hesitation that having read this book, I have moved from 'dipping my toe into the water' and occasional practice (1 or 2 half hour practice sessions per week), to partial submersion (6 practice sessions 1 hour plus per week). An inspiration, thank you Donna.
on 27 May 2010
I really enjoyed this book and will read again and again. It really brings the ancient philosophies of yoga into the context of our lives in modern times. I had read Patanjali's 'how to know God' during my yoga foundation course and continue to refer to it. This book is an excellent accompaniment to that and an inspiration for trying to discipline yourself to practise at home. I would wholeheartedly recommend.
on 21 January 2011
Being a good yoga teacher is one thing. Being able to write about yoga in a passionate, informative and intelligent way is something different. Unfortunately I don't know Donna Farhi as a yoga teacher. This book is my first encounter with her. And a very fortunate one, as far as I am concerned. For me she is definitely a great writer. Her book is so well written, a mixture of deep insights, yoga history, relevant quotes, identifiable anecdotes and... HUMOUR. This book confirmed to me something that I already started to be aware of: that I was doing yoga more or less as ' doing exercise with Sanskrit names' . More like an escape from my life than as an endeavour to feel more alive. Somehow I have always had some kind of reluctance to go further into the yoga philosophy before, into all these' ' vagueness'. This book is an eye opener for me and a good read as well.
on 12 December 2013
This is one of my favorite books about how to bring the teachings of yoga into your life and be a better and happier person. Well-written and inspiring. I hardly ever review books on amazon but this one is so special that I felt I had to. I teach yoga too and often use this book to theme my classes. I have shelves full of yoga books and this is definitely one I come back to the most. I wish Donna Farhi would come to Europe and do some workshops, she is fantastic. Her book shows yoga is not about perfect postures, but about how you live your life.
on 21 August 2013
I only started reading this book but it is what I needed. As a new mother I don't have much time and chances to practice but it is good to find a well written book on yoga and its aspects beyond the mat. It helps me to understand my practice more and learn how to grow and deepen my practice in the future.
on 15 July 2013
Very interesting and reassuring read about the ins and outs of yoga experience and what it entails for one's life should you decide to take it seriously. Very humane . Humorous as well as profound about the healing effects of this practise and the ensuing life style.